Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jafnva
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John

How to "force" hotadd transport mode?

Post by jafnva »

We are running Veeam ver 10 in a vCenter 7 environment and have a couple of backup jobs for our file servers that are using the “nbd” transport mode. Because these are very large, we would like to have them use the “hotadd” transport mode. All of our other backups are using the hotadd mode, but I cannot determine why these flle servers are not.
We have added an additional storage array that we are migrating the VMs to as well as another storage array that still contain the file servers. All of the hosts, including the host that contains the Veeam server, are all connected to both arrays. Both arrays are in the same iSCSI subnet.
The backup job for the file servers’ states “No available proxies are running on the ESXi management interface subnet….” There are other VMs that are on the same host as the file servers that do not have this problem. The only difference that I see is the storage that the file servers are using.
Can someone point me to what to look at or what could be causing these VMs to use the nbd transport mode?
Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: How to "force" hotadd transport mode?

Post by Mildur »

Hi John

Guessing over the forum is not effective. I suggest to open a support case. Logs will tell exactly why ndb is used and not hotadd. If your Hotadd proxy runs on a host with access to the storage array where the fileserver disks are stored, hotadd should work.
Please share the case number with us for our reference.

One thing you can check outside of the case is if you fulfill all requirements for hotadd processing and not hit a limitation:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Another requirement may be important to note if your fileserver has encrypted disks. In that case the hotadd proxy also needs to be an encrypted vm or backup process will fallback to nbd mode for such vms:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... 110#backup

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jafnva
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: John

Re: How to "force" hotadd transport mode?

Post by jafnva »

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look and open a support case.