Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ridwansyah
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: ridwansyah

how to keep all backup on capacity Storage (Object Storage)

Post by ridwansyah »

Hi All,

I run a backup job on veeam to backup VMs that are on vmware. this Job running everyday since February 2022, with the following settings
- Retention Policy : 14 Days
- Backup : Increment with Synthetic Full backup every Monday
- Backup Repository : ScaleOut Repository with Object Storage (Cloudian on Prem) with Option activated CopyBackups and Move Backup to Object Storage which older than 5 Days

Backup results are stored in capacity storage (object storage) only for the last three weeks, because the results of the first week of backups in object storage are deleted after the synthetic full backup process runs in the fourth week.

Is there a setting that I have to add so that all the backup results are stored in object storage?

Regards,

Ridwan
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: how to keep all backup on capacity Storage (Object Storage)

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Ridwan

That's seems right to me. Object Storage uses the retention policy of a backup job.
With 14 daily backups with weekly synthetic full, VBR will keep restore points for 14 to 21 days. That's what you can see in the capacity tier.
If you want to have more restore points in object storage, you can configure the retention to keep more days or use GFS retention in the backup job.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ridwansyah
Novice

Post by ridwansyah »

Hi, Fabian

Thanks, for your suggestion but we have limited performance storage, That's why we offload the backup results to object storage in the hope that all the backup results are stored in object storage. Is there any other option?

Regards,

Ridwan
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Ridwan

Your welcome.
You have enabled the move policy with a 5 days restore operational window. Inactive backup chains will be deleted on the performance tier 5 days after a new synthetic full was created. That must be each Saturday, where you can see that a week of restore points is removed on the performance tier.

Nothing will change on that behavior if you extend the backup job retention to keep the restore points longer. The inactive backup chains still will get removed on performance tier after 5 days of the last synthetic full. But you will have more restore points on the object storage. That's was your goal, if I understood it right :)

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ridwansyah
Novice

Post by ridwansyah »

Hi Fabian,

Yes, that's was my goal :)

Regards,

Ridwan