Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

How to replicate VMs with sharing disks?

Post by ibarizz »

I have a scenario of VMs with multi-writer.
Is it possible to replicate VMs with such feature in its disks? Or I have to power off those VMs, disable multi-writer, replicate the VMs in the destination, reconfigure them in that place with multiwriter and power on.

Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How to replicate VMs with sharing disks?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
VMware does not support snapshots of multiwriter disks. Replication is built on VMware snapshots. So yes, you need to ensure somehow that the machine can be snapshotted. Once that works, Veeam can replicate. Realistically, I doubt that this a practical solution for "everyday", but maybe for a migration it could be an option.

Best regards,
Hannes
ibarizz
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by ibarizz »

@HannesK, I'm gonna ask you something that might sound silly, but I'm a bit confused.

I want to know if there is any data loss during the failover of a standard replica in Veeam. Will the Failover start the replica in the latest state, and does it recover the information that was passed during the replication period? Or there is always a data loss during a failover of a replica? I meant the lastest changes before the VM in the origin was powered off.
lettiv89
Certified Trainer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alexey Prozorov

Post by lettiv89 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

if your goal is to failover the VM WITHOUT any data loss, then planned failover is the way to go:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

KR lettiV