How to restore a mailbox without needing the users password

VMware specific discussions

Re: How to restore a mailbox without needing the users passw

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Thu May 05, 2011 3:55 pm

My Exchange administrator has done a failback on the exchange server to 2007 for other reason.

So I can confirm that Full Access right on the mailbox is enough to restore Exchange 2007 mailboxes.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: aevenot

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks. That's right. Impersonation requirements is the new thing added into Exchange 2010. But I why would anyone want to failback to Exchange 2007 I wonder? Sorry for slight offtopic.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Thu May 05, 2011 8:02 pm

I want to let you know that we not failback because of veeam but because of requirements for a product that done migration from lotus domino. We are in a migrating phase so the exchange server is not in production, we can do all we want. Migration to Exhange 2010 will be done next month.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm

Ah, that explains. Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 pm

I've done the following command on my exchange server in my testing lab, thanks to gostev it's working like a charm.

Code: Select all
New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Name:impersonationAssignmentName –Role:ApplicationImpersonation –User:administrator

thanks again, I can my close my case now.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Great to hear, and thanks for taking time to update this topic with confirmation.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby aevenot » Mon May 09, 2011 8:15 am

I have found a way to make it work on my Exchange 2010, I'm looking now for doing the same thing on my Exchange 2007 server.
aevenot
Enthusiast

Veeam Logoby ShawnKPERS » Mon May 09, 2011 1:58 pm

I just got it to work in 2010 as well!!! I used the same command aevenot posted. Thanks Gostev for recommending impersonations.
ShawnKPERS
Enthusiast

Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Shawn Nix

Veeam Logoby findend » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:57 pm

Hello

I'm supposed to create the appropriate Windows account in order to backup and restore Exchange 2010-mailboxes.

Unfortunately, I didn't find a set of appropriate permissions for this account, neither in the 5.02 Users Guide nor in the 5.02 ex-air release notes, nor in the online-FAQ, but I found this thread.

What is the conclusion of those two pages of writing? It's looks confusing enough to me.
Which are the necessary permissions for this account having Exchange 2010 backed up and Mailboxes restored?
Is there any membership to add to this account as well?

Or is it better to have two accounts, one to backup and one to restore? If yes, can Veeam handle that and what permissions are necessary for each account to have them work properly?

I list all the informations I found:

Gostev
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7360&p=30730&hilit=exchange+permission#p30653

grant administrator account permissions to access user mailboxes

Vitaly S.
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7360&p=30730&hilit=exchange+permission#p30669

Basically all you need to do is to grant FullAccess for the admin account as it is described in these articles:
http://blog.xiquest.com/2010/01/grant-full-access-to-all-mailboxes-in-exchange-2010/

-> which states the following cmdlets
Get-MailboxDatabase -identity “[mailbox database name]” | Add-ADPermission -user [username] -AccessRights GenericAll

-> in the comments I find another cmdlet
Get-MailboxDatabase | Add-ADPermission -user "USER/GROUP" -ExtendedRights Receive-as, ms-Exch-Store-Admin -InheritanceType All

tsightler
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7360&p=30730&hilit=exchange+permission#p30687

Is the account you're using a member of "Domain Admins", "Enterprise Admins", "Exchange Oragnizaion Admins" or "Administrators"? If so, you have to remove the explicit "Deny" permission for these groups as well. The "Deny" permission overrides all other rights so it has to be removed.

Gostev
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7360&p=30730&hilit=exchange+permission#p30751

Hi, it looks like in case of Exchange 2010, you additionally need to setup impersonation:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb204095%28v=EXCHG.140%29.aspx

-> which leads to the next cmdlet
New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Name:impersonationAssignmentName –Role:ApplicationImpersonation –User:serviceAccount

shawnKPERS
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7360&p=30730&hilit=exchange+permission#p30762

Gostev,
You were right about the "Send As" permission, It was a shot in the dark but after testing I still got the same results. I will look into the site you posted about impersonation. Also I put in a support ticket this morning so if I get a good answer I will post it here.

->I don't understand to what shawnKPERS is refering to

aevenot
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7360&hilit=permissions+Exchange&start=15#p30838

I've done the following command on my exchange server in my testing lab, thanks to gostev it's working like a charm.
New-ManagementRoleAssignment –Name:impersonationAssignmentName –Role:ApplicationImpersonation –User:administrator

Which of the above cmdlets are really necessary and which can I skip?
What else is necessary to make the Veeam account to backup Exchange 2010 and restore mailboxes?

Thanks for your help!
findend
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby findend » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 am

Sorry, there is a mistake in my previous post, I only need the account to restore exchange 2010-mailboxes.
Backup is done some other way.

Thanks
findend
Lurker

Exchange U-AIR credentials

Veeam Logoby MikeH » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:02 pm 1 person likes this post

[merged]

I'm trying to run the Exchange U_AIR wizard for Exchange 2010 SP1. I have been able to make it through to the pop-up screen that asks for "Backup Mailbox Credentials". I've tried all the combinations I can think of, but nothing works. Any suggestions on where I would find the username and password or where it is managed?
Thanks
MikeH
Lurker

Creditentials Error on Exchange Single Item Restore

Veeam Logoby Ozge » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 am

[merged]

We are using Veeam Backup and replication 6.1.

While we are performing Exchange Single Item Restore, we are prompted to provide the creditentials. But in no way it accepts our username and password. Virtual Lab and Sure BAck up are all running.

How can we preceed at this point?

Regards.

Ozge
Lurker

Full Name: Ozge Ozkaya

Veeam Logoby Cokovic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:18 am 1 person likes this post

As described you need to allow the administrator account or an dedicated account for this purpose access rights to the users mailbox (or all mailboxes). Instead you could try to authenticate with the user credentials itself.

A sidenote:
Once i had the problem that my Veeam backupserver wasn't located in the same domain as the production exchange server and there was no trust relationship between these two domains. Veeam server was a member of a testdomain. And i was also stuck in the credentials window. Always failed with authentication regardless which credentials were used. Moving the server into the same domain as the backed up Exchange server did the trick.
Cokovic
Expert

Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: Creditentials Error on Exchange Single Item Restore

Veeam Logoby jveldhui » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Ozge wrote:[merged]

We are using Veeam Backup and replication 6.1.

While we are performing Exchange Single Item Restore, we are prompted to provide the creditentials. But in no way it accepts our username and password. Virtual Lab and Sure BAck up are all running.

How can we preceed at this point?

Regards.

I am stuck at the exact same point. What ever credentials I try to use, I won't get through. Not even with the credentials corresponding to the mailbox.
Can anyone please advise?
jveldhui
Lurker

Full Name: Jaap van Veldhuizen

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:09 pm

Jaap, have you tried to apply the recommendations discussed in this thread?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere