Thank you Dave for all your information!!!
Yes, the R815 will be the Repository / Storage for backups.
The hard drives will be 6x 2TB Seagate Enterprise Capacity 6GB/s SATA 7200RPM
1. Right now the physical R815 is not connected to the SAN. I imagine we will be using iSCSI, since we don't have Fiber (not sure how much that would cost to setup?).
2. I had to go search for the topic on Thin/Thick/block zero stuff. This is the thread I was thinking of: vmware-vsphere-f24/slow-restore-speed-27mb-s-tips-ideas-t12892-60.html
This is what got me wondering about how to properly configure everything, to try and prevent the slow restores I was getting during testing.
3. I don't see our backups growing too much. I kind of hate to lose the storage space with RAID 10 (6TB) vs RAID 6 (10TB) - if I did the math right. Is there really a noticeable difference in backup/restore speeds?
4. That was my question, lol. Some other backup solution person was suggesting Hyper-V and then present the storage to the hypervisor, or something. Wasn't sure.
5. That's what I was originally thinking, but I was wondering if the Backup Server software was running on the R815 if it would process faster using those resources?
Really appreciate your time on this Dave, many thanks!