Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
crp0499
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Cliff

I can see my VMs at the cluster level, but not host level

Post by crp0499 »

First, this is not an error or a technical issue. My Veeam works fine. Nothing is broken so please, for the love of GOD, do not ask me to create a ticket. I just want to ask a question.

I have a fresh Veeam install on a new server and I connected my vcenter to Veeam using my creds. Everything is great. It's working fine. Nothing is broken.

BUT

I noticed that my VMs only show when I select the cluster view. When I click the individual host, the VMs running on that host at that moment do not show. Now, I'm assuming that this is because I have HA turned on and the VMs can move between hosts whenever vcenter decides it's best to move one, but I wanted to ask about this behaviour.

I went and looked at a few other Veeam installs that I support, and all of the hosts who their inventory, but I don't use cluters or HA in those other environs, that's why I think it's the cluster thing that prevents the individual host inventories from showing.

Whatcha think?
Cliff Poe
VCDX-DCV, MCSM
President/CEO
On-Site Computer Solutions, Inc.
713-517-7344
cliff@onsiteus.com
www.onsiteus.com
crp0499
Influencer

Re: I can see my VMs at the cluster level, but not host level

Post by crp0499 »

ok, I lied! I found one more client where I use clustering and HA and it's the same. The individual hosts do not show the VMs on them so nevermind. :)
Cliff Poe
VCDX-DCV, MCSM
President/CEO
713-517-7344
cliff@onsiteus.com
www.onsiteus.com
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Cliff,

I guess you're talking about "Hosts and Clusters" view that is available in job creation wizard at "Virtual Machines" step. I'd say that the behavior is expected and your assumption is correct because VMs are located under the level of cluster of vCenter hierarchy, I guess you would notice the same result even in vSphere client.

Thanks!
crp0499
Influencer

Post by crp0499 » 1 person likes this post

Yes, and thank you very much for replying. I always like to be sure I'm sure. :)
Cliff Poe
VCDX-DCV, MCSM
President/CEO
713-517-7344
cliff@onsiteus.com
www.onsiteus.com