Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
walliam88
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: William Ooi

I need your idea...comes brainstorm together

Post by walliam88 »

Hi All IT Expert & Professional, may I have your idea

Current Situation- All India office backup to Singapore repository.

Changes- We want to change all india office backup to their local repository (new backup hardware purchased)

My Plan- change current India backup repository path from Singapore to India, and scale-out copy to Singapore. So we could have 2 copies. Is this is the correct and ideal plan ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: I need your idea...comes brainstorm together

Post by Mildur »

Hi William

Using the primary repositories at the same place as the production environment is a good idea for performance reasons (backup and restore).
Will a centralized VBR Server be used for all remote locations? If yes, make sure that your repository is also a VMware Proxy Server to get the best performance. In case they are Linux hardened repositories, make sure to deploy VMWare Proxies as VMs.

What will be your second target at Singapore? Object Storage? I'm asking, because you say Scale-Out Copy. A scale out backup repository can only copy/move data to Object Storage. If you don't have Object Storage in Singapore, then you can use backup copy jobs to copy the backups from the remote repositories in India to the repository in Singapore. If you have dedicated VBR Server per Remote Location, the backup copy job part could be an issue.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software