Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
davide.depaoli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Davide Depaoli

Immutable backup on QNAP

Post by davide.depaoli »

Hello,
we are making a technology renewal proposal to our customer, with a QNAP as a backup target for Veeam.
I would need to know if it is possible to configure a partition of the QNAP as a hardened repository, or is it only supported on a pure linux server.
The QNAP model is following:
TS-h1677AXU-RP
QTS operating system based on linux ext4.

thanks in advance
Best regards,
Davide
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Immutable backup on QNAP

Post by Andreas Neufert »

In theory you can mount an iSCSI volume to Veeam and secure the connection with CHAP. Make the Linux System a hardened repository then while using the mounted iSCSI. That said it would not be immutable in the sense of Immutability.

Someone can just go to the QNAP system and delete the volume/data. It might work if you do not give the customer admin credential on the system and disable remote management on the QNAP. But to call a device immutable that is not by isolating admin access is maybe not the best idea.

A stand alone server with disable remote management interace (or disconnected) + our hardened Linux repository with a battery backed raid controller is maybe the better idea and likely from a pricing perspective near what you want to do.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Other option would be to use the QNAP with the S3 interface and Compliance mode object lock enabled. Ensure that the customer do not get any accounts that can delete / reset the device.
davide.depaoli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 28 times
Full Name: Davide Depaoli

Post by davide.depaoli »

Thank you Andreas,
your considerations are definitely correct in terms of absolute security, but we have to deal with the customer's budget, who would also do some other things with the qnap.
Immutable backups would be a plus that could be implemented by accepting the fact that the qnap would be a shared system.
My doubt was about filesystem compatibility, but i have seen that this model is on the Veeam Ready list of qnap for repository support.
I will consider your suggestions as possible alternatives to propose to the customer.

thank you
Regards,
Davide