Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Gerry Locke

Importing Backups

Post by Dr.Gerry »

I think I must be missing something........but that's not unusual.

I need to restore some files that are no longer visible within the Veeam console (ie when I try to do a restore, the list of available backups to restore from does not go back far enough). We still have a full backup on tape from the period that I need. I have done the 'import backup' process (which I am guessing worked properly as it took over 6 hours), but the backup does not show up in the Backups\Disk (imported) branch of the tree.

I tried the Import a couple of times. The first time I put the imported VBK file on a folder on our Veeam server (but that folder was not in the folder tree that makes up our repository), but it didn't show up in the Backups\Disk (imported) branch, so then I did it again and put it in the same folder where all the other backups of that server reside, however, it is still not showing up in the tree.

I'm guessing that I have probably done something wrong, but I'm not sure what. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Importing Backups

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Gerry,

Can you please clarify how the backup file was created (i.e. by agent / vm backup / backup copy job)? Thanks!
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry »

The backup was a synthetic full backup copied to tape by a Backups to Tape job
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Gerry, how did you perform the import operation? Did you use the Import button and point directly to the VBK file you copied over from the tape?
Dr.Gerry
Enthusiast

Post by Dr.Gerry » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for that foggy...….as suspected there WAS something I was missing! I had mistaken the process of bringing the vbk file back off tape with Importing the backup. Reading your message made me realise my mistake, I ended up right-clicking the Imported node, then found my file, imported it and now I am able to do the restore.

Thanks again!