Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sooperfly
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel P

Infrastructure Recomendation

Post by sooperfly »

I am looking for advice on the "optimal" path to proceed. I have a central site with lots of SAN storage and lots of smaller sites that I want to backup/replicate.
What is the best use of Veeam products to accomodate this scenario. Most of the sites have minimal changes, maybe 2-5 VMs each on standalone, with 1.5 to 5mbs links.
I am confortable now with the WAN links for each site being changed if needed. My biggest concerns are management. I would like to be able to mange replication from a Veeam server(s) at my central site, and have it connect via VPN to the Vsphere hosts directly. What are my minimum needs as far as Proxies/Vcenter servers. I would prefer not to have to deploy a new VM at each site, as it costs an MS license to do so. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
chrisdearden
Veteran
Liked: 226 times
Full Name: Chris Dearden

Re: Infrastructure Recomendation

Post by chrisdearden »

While the proxies have to run on windows , they dont have to be windows servers - you can use a windows 7 VM to act as a proxy for each branch. As long as the host on each site is running a licenced version of vSphere you should be good to go. The Proxy VM will also have a small ammount of storage used for the source side metadata , but this should be pretty small. You can also make use of some replica seeding via removable drive if you want to speed up the initial transfer.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Infrastructure Recomendation

Post by Vitaliy S. »

sooperfly wrote:What are my minimum needs as far as Proxies/Vcenter servers.
To process your VMs in the most optimal way it is recommended to have a proxy server on each site, and it can be any existing VM as Chris has written above.