Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ekisner
Expert
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Erik Kisner

Instant Recovery Feature Requests

Post by ekisner »

Hi there,

Would be awesome if we could have an option to edit vm hardware settings in an IR job. Specifically, the vmnic in my particular interest, but implementing the whole thing wouldn't really be much more work.

Regarding a use-case, I want to rapidly stage a development environment (I have the environment already, just no VMs) and then vmotion from there to release the backup chain. Basically a Sure Backup, but without all the extra stuff that Sure Backup does... a fire-and-forget version. I currently accomplish the above by doing restores (to new locations), which means waiting for the restore jobs to complete before I can proceed.

Next ask, it would be glorious if one could do an instant recovery of an agent backup into VMware... you already have the ability to export to VMDKs and inject drivers, all you'd need to do is allow vPower to read the intended VBK/VIBs and treat it the same as it would treat a VBK/VIB for a virtual server backup. Again with the above hardware edits available, so that I'm not trying to make a VM with 256GB of memory allocated.

Use-case for this is simple. If a physical server suffers a hardware failure, spinning it up rapidly into a virtual environment improves RTO. Definitely helps for the smaller folks that don't have cold/warm hardware ready to receive restore data. Would also aid in adding physical servers to the first use-case above.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Instant Recovery Feature Requests

Post by Gostev »

Hi Erik,

If I understood you right, it sounds like the first feature you're asking for is already in Update 4 - it's called Staged Restore.

Instant restore of agent backups to VMware is in our short-term roadmap.

Thanks!
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Fantastic, thank you!
ekisner
Expert

Post by ekisner »

Gostev wrote: Oct 18, 2018 11:38 am Instant restore of agent backups to VMware is in our short-term roadmap.
Since it's not yet implemented, it might be interesting if while you're implementing it (since the bulk of the work will likely be done already when you do the above) you allow physical servers to be added to replication jobs. Maybe you've already thought of that, figured I'd just bring it up in case.