Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
seadave
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Instant Recovery VM is not delted if powered off in vCenter

Post by seadave »

Was testing a new Veeam 7.0.0.871 deployment today. Veeam engineer was unaware of this issue.

When demonstrating Instant Recovery to me, we created a recovery VM, it booted, and then from vCenter I powered it off before returning to the Veeam console. Engineer then advised to return to Veeam and click on "stop session" under Last 24 hours. System advised it experienced an error and VM and NFS mount remained. Manually deleted VM from disk and unmounted NFS share.

Tried it a second time just now. This time the VM was removed after I had powered it down via vCenter but the NFS mount remained. Apparently some logic is missing regarding the "Stop Session" process. Should process some IF, THEN routines to ensure VM and NFS mount are removed regardless of state.

Simple solution is not to power down the VM first but thought I would pass this on.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Instant Recovery VM is not delted if powered off in vCen

Post by Vitaliy S. »

What kind of error did you have in the first case? As to the second run, then vPower NFS datastore stays mounted to the host, because it can be used for future SureBackup/Instant VM Recovery jobs.
seadave
Enthusiast

Post by seadave »

Vitaliy-

Thanks. Was not aware that the NFS mount would remain. The specific error escapes me. I think it essentially said that the "Stop Session" request failed, but when I check the log it shows it was successful. I know we did have to manually delete the VM from disk. Is there additional logging that might help?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

I think the error you saw was referring to the fact that VM was already powered off manually, thus Veeam backup couldn't shut it down for the second time. Veeam IR session should indeed have a successful status in this situation.

Can you please tell me where did you delete the VM from? It should be located on the vPower NFS datastore, no files should be deleted manually.
seadave
Enthusiast

Post by seadave »

Right clicked on the VM in vCenter and used "Delete from disk" command.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Can you try to stop the IR session from the Veeam console and see if you have the same behavior?