Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Instant Recovey what can I do?

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

I have an environment with vSphere 5.5 and Veem Backup 10.

1 - After starting Instant Recovery using the redirect write cache option using a datastore I noticed that the VM works faster. That's true?

2 - After starting Instant Recovery using the redirect write cache option using a datastore can I use vMotion to move the VM to the same datastore where the redirect write cache is? Or do I need to use the option (Migrate to production ...)?

PS: In the first attempt the Instant Recovery at the end was paused, another VM with the same name was created but turned off. And the previous one was renamed with the end of the name (_migrated).

I noticed that during the process after (Migrate to production ...) a VM was created with some huge name.

3 - After starting Instant Recovery using the not using redirect write cache option using a datastore can I use vMotion to move the VM to the same datastore where the redirect write cache is? Or do I need to use the option (Migrate to production ...)?

4 - After starting Instant Recovery it showed a MAC conflict alarm. This was because there is still the original VM in vSphere, correct?

Thank you.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Instant Recovey what can I do?

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Sandro,

Most of your questions are answered by respectful documentation page. Please have some time to go through it.
Short version:
1. Yes, in most cases it will boost performance
2. Use built-in Veeam migration option
3. Use built-in Veeam migration option
4. Yes, MAC is in VMX configuration file, VM restored from backup will have same MAC address

/Cheers!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Regarding #4
This happens only when you have fixed MAC addresses in the VM configuration. Dynamic MAC address usage will give the new Instant VM Recovery VM a new MAC address.
Usually you give Linux Systems a fixed MAC address as they bind the IP address to the MAC address.
Suggest to change Linux VMs to a IP address to PCIe Slot binding like in Windows and use dynamic MAC addresses.
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Post by sandroalves »

Egor Yakovlev wrote: Sep 21, 2020 6:40 am Most of your questions are answered by respectful documentation page. Please have some time to go through it.
Short version:
1. Yes, in most cases it will boost performance
2. Use built-in Veeam migration option
3. Use built-in Veeam migration option
4. Yes, MAC is in VMX configuration file, VM restored from backup will have same MAC address
Hi,

I was able to carry out the process, but I had to perform this procedure before performing the migration to production using Veeam.

http://www.hypervisor.fr/?p=5613

Thank you.
attachment