Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
axelklos
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Axel Klos

Integration in other Backup Solution - Report

Post by axelklos »

Hi,

actually I do the following:

- daily backup reverse incremental
- each weekend I copy *.vbk to another directory (daily backup will be keep 2 weeks, weekly copies 4 weeks, copy latest *.vbk to monthly directory ..)

Reason for my question is It should be possible to check oldest backup of a vmware .. if retention policy is 14 days and I backuped up a vbk file
I don't know content of that one (which vmwares are inside file)

probally there is a way to list content of .vbk or is there a function to export backup report as pdf to local directory?

regards

axel
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: Integration in other Backup Solution - Report

Post by Cokovic »

Do you have a veeam standard license or an enterprise license? Cause with an enterprise license you could use Veeam Enterprise Manager which should meet your requirements.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Yes, with Enterprise version you can use Enterprise Manager UI to search in old backups that were offloaded from the repository to another location (to tape, for example).
axelklos
Enthusiast

Post by axelklos »

we have enterprise edition .. that meeans enterprise manager (web gui) will keep all old backup information?
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

Yes. Under Configuration --> Settings you can set the retention period time. Just take a look into the GUI if the stored informations there meet your requirements. In EM you can also export the informations to an Excel sheet.
axelklos
Enthusiast

Post by axelklos »

thanks .. I already found it but max retention policy is 12 months :(

is there another way? probally a command line utility to look inside vbk?
Cokovic
Veteran

Post by Cokovic »

axelklos wrote: - daily backup reverse incremental
- each weekend I copy *.vbk to another directory (daily backup will be keep 2 weeks, weekly copies 4 weeks, copy latest *.vbk to monthly directory ..)
What is the retention period for your monthly backups? Cause as far as i can see it should meet your requirements :)

You could also export the list of VMs backed up by a specific job to an excel sheet, rename it according to your VBK and move it to the same folder as your VBK. Thats what i would do.
axelklos
Enthusiast

Post by axelklos »

Cokovic wrote: What is the retention period for your monthly backups? Cause as far as i can see it should meet your requirements :)

You could also export the list of VMs backed up by a specific job to an excel sheet, rename it according to your VBK and move it to the same folder as your VBK. Thats what i would do.
Unfortunately backup enterprise manager is not flexible enough :(

- I can't choose a time frame , only last 24 hours, last 7 days
- output of vm's seems to be that what I want, but also not flexibla, can't choose backup frame , as example on monday I can't choose backup windows of saturday.

in output of vm's I also see file name *.vbk which contains my backup. scheduling of customized reports and send by mail / store as pdf would be a great feature.
automation of this process would be great ==> no interaction of user necessary to put all necessary information inside a backup

for reporting veeam is not flexible enough at the moment .. hopefully it will be better in future.
ThomasMc
Veteran
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Thomas McConnell

Post by ThomasMc »

For automation and reporting your best bet would be Powershell ;)
axelklos
Enthusiast

Post by axelklos »

ThomasMc wrote:For automation and reporting your best bet would be Powershell ;)
do you have an example for that?

it would be grat to have a report similar vm view in enterprise manager:

vm, backup server, job name, location, file path (this one also contains name of vbk)

but to really enterprise ready it would be great to have the the options to choose date from -- to.

regards

axel