Internet access from Virtual Lab

VMware specific discussions

Re: Internet access from Virtual Lab

Veeam Logoby readie » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Great - thanks for the feedback.
I think once this is in, your Virtual Lab in itself is worth buying Backup and Replication for! I haven't found any other product which will allow me to experiment on my 'live' (i.e. same IPs, computer names etc.) environment without affecting users.
Bob
Bob Eadie
Computer Manager at Bedford School, UK (since 1999).
Veeam user since 2009.
readie
Expert

Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Bob Eadie

[MERGED] surebackup test lab

Veeam Logoby ful56_uk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 am

hello

can you get your vm's in your test lab to access the internet?

Mark
ful56_uk
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby Alexey D. » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm

Mark, Tom's post describes the process.
Alexey D.

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:24 am

Gostev wrote:Just as an update, we have tentatively scheduled this functionality for the next maintenance update (5.0.2) whenever it may be. No timelines yet because we need to gather enough hotfixes to justify the release. My current guesstimate is 3 months from now. Thanks!

This has just been released. I have added the corresponding section to the sticky FAQ topic. Thanks all for your feedback, hope this makes vPower virtual labs even more useful for you.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2349 times

[MERGED] Internet access in Virtual Lab help

Veeam Logoby AlexD » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:30 am

Hi all,

I'm hoping one of you can help me.
We have recently aquired Veeam software and I have been reading up about it and trying various processes.
At the moment I am working on Virtual Lab. I have successfully made a couple of labs but then I was given a task.
I have been told to see if I can get the Lab to have internet access so we can test Outlook Anywhere settings.

I have read the FAQ "Step by Step" guide but I didn't understand it fully.

So my question is:
Can anyone give me a more detailed step by step guide as to how to allow Virtual Labs to access the internet? (screenshots would be extreamly helpful if possible)

Sorry for the extra information. Just wanted to give you a bit of infomation as to why I want internet access on a Virtual Lab.

Thanks in advance

Alex
AlexD
Influencer

Full Name: Alex Dunlop

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:30 am

Alex, what exactly you did not understand in the description given here? It looks pretty straightforward, so I would prefer to answer your specific questions rather than giving some general instructions.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby AlexD » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:14 am

I have to appologise. I am VERY new at Veeam so some of these may be really stupid questions.
So I'll run through what i have done so far

To start I'm guessing that the registry edits are to be made on the server where Backup and Replication is installed?
I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication and found there was no SureBackup folder there so I created one. (Im guessing it doesnt matter that the server is 64 bit Windows 2008 R2)
In the SureBackup folder I created the VLabProxyEnable DWORD (they are not case sensitive are they?)

After that I got confused

To customize proxy port (inside virtual lab). If the value does not exist, 8080 is used. Value must be in hex, for example 00000c38 for port 3128.
Code: Select all
allvLabProxyHTTPPort
DWORD
Port number (hexadecimal)

I'm assume i do not need to enter this DWORD if I dont want to customise the proxy port?
To set production proxy server name. If this value does not exist, proxy appliance must have direct internet access from its production network interface.
allvlabProxyServer
STRING
upstreamproxyname.domain.local

For this bit I'm guessing that i need to give the proxy appliace a static IP and then add a DNS entry on the production network?

For example I have a proxy appliance setup called Exchange_Outlook_Anywhere_Test with a static IP of 192.168.0.200.
So I would add the IP to the production DNS with a name like OutlookAnywhere.
Then i would add the string OutlookAnywhere.macaw.com

Remember to adjust proxy settings in the Internet Options on every sandboxed VMs. To do that, open Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy server and specify proxy appliance IP address (on the isolated network), and port number.

So would the IP address be 192.168.0.200 or does it have a different one on the isolated network.

Also if I set up the last string for each proxy appliance?
It then says to restart the UI and create a new Virtual Lab but surely the new virtual lab wont use the same proxy details as the string I created.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Alex
AlexD
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:46 pm 1 person likes this post

AlexD wrote:To start I'm guessing that the registry edits are to be made on the server where Backup and Replication is installed?

Correct.

AlexD wrote:I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VeeaM\Veeam Backup and Replication and found there was no SureBackup folder there so I created one.

Right.

AlexD wrote: (Im guessing it doesnt matter that the server is 64 bit Windows 2008 R2)

Correct, it does not matter.

AlexD wrote:In the SureBackup folder I created the VLabProxyEnable DWORD (they are not case sensitive are they?)

Correct, registry values are not case-sensitive.

AlexD wrote:I'm assume i do not need to enter this DWORD if I dont want to customise the proxy port?

Correct.

AlexD wrote:
To set production proxy server name. If this value does not exist, proxy appliance must have direct internet access from its production network interface.
allvlabProxyServer
STRING
upstreamproxyname.domain.local

For this bit I'm guessing that i need to give the proxy appliace a static IP and then add a DNS entry on the production network?

Here is the confusion. You need to specify the production proxy server address here (if used in your environment). If proxy server is not required and servers in your network have direct Internet access, then you do not need to create this entry.

AlexD wrote:
Remember to adjust proxy settings in the Internet Options on every sandboxed VMs. To do that, open Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy server and specify proxy appliance IP address (on the isolated network), and port number.

So would the IP address be 192.168.0.200 or does it have a different one on the isolated network.

You should specify proxy appliance IP address on the isolated network, which is typically the same as the IP address of a default gateway in the corresponding production network.

AlexD wrote:Also if I set up the last string for each proxy appliance?
It then says to restart the UI and create a new Virtual Lab but surely the new virtual lab wont use the same proxy details as the string I created.

After you restart Veeam B&R UI, these settings will be used by each proxy appliance configured within each new virtual lab you create.

Btw, in v7 these settings will be available in Veeam B&R GUI, so no need to trouble with the registry anymore.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:14 pm

AlexD wrote:allvLabProxyHTTPPort

Btw, registry values do not have "all" in front of their names. So there should be vlabProxyServer instead of allvlabProxyServer, etc.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby AlexD » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

Just double checking but the virtual labs i have already created cannot be connected to the internet. I will have to replace them all with new Virual Labs for them to connect?
AlexD
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Yes, new virtual labs should be created.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby AlexD » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:31 pm

Ok so my network doesnt use a proxy server so the only key i need to enter is the VLabProxyEnable DWORD?

Once i have done that I create a new virtual lab and then under the connection settings of the vNIC I set the Proxy Appliance IP to be the same as the production networks Default gateway?
Once the new Virtual Lab is created I log on to each of the virtual machines in the lab and enter the Default gateway/Proxy Appliance IP as the proxy server in LAN settings of the internet options?
Then they should connect to the internet?

sorry for asking so many questions. I just want to be absolutly certain I have done it correctly before I contact tech help. :)
AlexD
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:39 pm

Sounds correct. You always can ask our support team for assistance in setting this up. If you are not confident with the steps to perform, just contact them directly and they will guide you through the process.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby dragan.bodrozic » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:04 pm

I have no internet in my Lab (Veeam V8) from isolated VMs.

Lab have this settings:

Lab name:Virtual Lab
ESX name:ESXSERVER1
Datastore:Storage01-01-VOL1

Appliance:
Name:Virtual_Lab
Pool name:Virtual Lab
Folder name:Virtual Lab

Production network name:VM Network - Local 1GBs
IP: 192.168.151.221
Subnet mask: 255.255.254.0 (23)
Default gateway: 192.168.151.254

DNS:
Preferred: 192.168.151.235
Alternate: 192.168.151.249

Checked allow proxy appliance to act as a internet proxy for virtual machine in this lab
HTTP port 8080 Production proxy 192.168.151.254

Network configuration type: advanced single-host

Network options:
Isolated network: Virtual Lab DC Srv 2012R2 VM Network - Local 1GBs
Masquerade IP: 192.168.100.0
Appliance IP: 192.168.151.254
DHCP: disabled

Network mapping:
VM Network - Local 1GBs --> Virtual Lab DC Srv 2012R2 VM Network - Local 1GBs

From Virtual lab appliance (login as root) I can ping 8.8.8.8 and google.com (DNS works) I can ping any computer in production network but can't ping in isolated networks.

On isolated VMs: Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy server 192.1268.151.254 port 8080 checked bypass proxy
From isolated VM 192.168.151.235 I can ping proxy 192.168.151.254 and all isolated VM but can't ping google 8.8.8.8
My proxy is ISA server and there is no authentication for 192.168.151.221

Am I missed something in configuration?
dragan.bodrozic
Novice

Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Dragan Bodrozic

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:16 pm

Dragan, if everything looks configured correctly, I recommend contacting support to take a closer look at the virtual lab configuration.
foggy
Veeam Software

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere