Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
Gostev
Veeam Software
Liked: 2913 times

Re: IPv6 support in veeam v9

Post by Gostev » Dec 28, 2015 12:20 pm

Even if we don't consider what Marco list because it's all "under the hood"... a quick quiz on something every Veeam user should know very well: who can say how many dialogs are there in Veeam UI where a user is supposed to enter an IP address?

dkvello
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Dag Kvello

Post by dkvello » Dec 28, 2015 1:54 pm

Gostev wrote:Even if we don't consider what Marco list because it's all "under the hood"... a quick quiz on something every Veeam user should know very well: who can say how many dialogs are there in Veeam UI where a user is supposed to enter an IP address?
I don't know, that's why I use hostnames :-) Problem is, Veeam just pukes if that hostname has an IPV6 adress.

Gostev
Veeam Software

Post by Gostev » Dec 28, 2015 3:33 pm

I am talking about many dialogs where you HAVE to enter IP address (host names are simply not accepted there), for example: network traffic throttling settings, helper appliance settings, virtual lab settings, etc.

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 511 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Post by Andreas Neufert » Dec 28, 2015 4:20 pm 3 people like this post

@Dag, don't get me wrong. I am one of the guys fighting for IPv6 within Veeam as I lose some deals simply because customers make IPv6 support mandatory (even if customer do not use IPv6). But there is a right time for everything. As Marco and @Gostev said before there are so many different communication protocolls involved that all dev teams are affected and it nearly doubles QC time. The priority is to add new features that are really helpful for majority of our customers. The more people implementing IPv6 in main datacenters the more chance this feature request will get. Thats the way Veeam work and Veeam is very successful with this focus.

Can you please tell me what was the main reason to go with IPv6 only. Is your environment that big?

dkvello
Service Provider

Post by dkvello » Dec 29, 2015 11:11 am 3 people like this post

Ah, the main reason being that we're moving away (since 2014) from IPV4 in our core (and internet-facing) infrastructures. But, we still need backup. IPV6 is not a"nice to have" option in my parts of the world, it's IPV6 first and then maybe IPV4 if strictrly needed.
I will, of course, avoid all solutions not IPV6 compatible in 2016 because it creates too many hassles. Sooo, what to do ? Switch datacenter backup solution ? or endure the pains of mixed IPV4/IPV6?

Our environment is not gigantic in any way, we have two (+Softlayer soon) datacenters, but we also run/support a whole lot of on-premise solutions for our customers. All interconnected datacenters are using L2, wich makes choosing IPV6 so much simpler.

Not supporting IPV6 will also stop us from implementing Cloud Connect/DRaaS in V9 as we have IPV6 only customers and they're not going to add IPV4 because of this.

As I said, there is no excuse to look at IPV6 as an afterthought and a "problem" in 2015/2016.

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 511 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Post by Andreas Neufert » Dec 29, 2015 11:14 am 2 people like this post

Thank you for this feedback.

ruffe
Lurker
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Rolf J. Knudsen

Post by ruffe » Dec 29, 2015 12:55 pm 3 people like this post

Here in Norway, the government has a requirement that all new solutions shall have IPv6 support (It does not have to be IPv6-only). Vmware may fail on some solutions for this, Veeam fails totally. For us it's a current solution, so we may not have to ditch you, but you fail in supporting tests for our dual-stack environment.

Gostev
Veeam Software

Post by Gostev » Dec 29, 2015 4:27 pm 1 person likes this post

dkvello wrote:Not supporting IPV6 will also stop us from implementing Cloud Connect/DRaaS in V9 as we have IPV6 only customers and they're not going to add IPV4 because of this.
I was waiting for someone to post this finally. Because Cloud Connect is literally THE ONLY place in the product where IPv6 support request actually makes sense at this point in time.

Strangely enough, all the people requesting IPv6 support previously - for a few years now - wanted it somewhere else in the product (where it does not make much sense at this point), thus all the comments from green names you are seeing ;)

dkvello
Service Provider

Post by dkvello » Dec 30, 2015 10:42 am 1 person likes this post

Hehehe, Yes. I remember having the same uphill-battle discussions back in the 90's about moving from NETBIOS/NetBEUI/NBF/802.2 to TcpBEUI/NBT (NETBIOS over NBF vs NETBIOS over TCP/UDP)
Not to mention the looooong uphill battle of convincing all kinds of vendors to support their products on virtual platforms... wich for some reason still is a battle against all kinds of strange arguments (Oracle comes to mind). Can't believe i've been doing that since 2002 allready

Well, our IPV6 requirements are real and getting rid of IPV4 in our core and extranet communications are a requirement, as well as govenment requierments.

Squeezer
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Post by Squeezer » Jan 03, 2016 11:36 pm

I back up VMs on a hyper-v host using DirectAccess Manage Out, and Veeam complains that it can't connect to the Admin share on the VMs for the guest filesystem indexing. So, it would be nice if IPv6 was added to fix the error.

schenkewitz
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Christian Schenkewitz

Post by schenkewitz » Jan 04, 2016 1:04 am

IPv6 support for Cloud Connect and all internet-facing services from Veeam should have been a must have for v9. In Germany we have seen the first customers getting IPv6 only internet connects and they will not be able to use Cloud Connect services.

Veeam should begin implementing IPv6 for all these parts and finish afterwards with IPv6 support for all parts of their products.

The first services should be:
Cloud Connect, WAN Accelerator, Enterprise Manager, REST API snd Cloud Portal
CTO @ www.mgn-computing.de

Managed Infrastructure Hosting | Hosted Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, CRM | Hosted MailArchive | VDI | Veeam Cloud Connect
on VMware vCloud Architecture in DE, FR, NL, UK

- www.procloud.de -

poulpreben
Service Provider
Liked: 402 times
Full Name: Preben Berg

Post by poulpreben » Jan 04, 2016 6:37 am

schenkewitz wrote:IPv6 support for Cloud Connect and all internet-facing services from Veeam should have been a must have for v9. In Germany we have seen the first customers getting IPv6 only internet connects and they will not be able to use Cloud Connect services.
Maybe I am missing something very fundemental, but how do these customers access the remaining 90-95% of the internet, which is not IPv6 enabled, if their internet connections are IPv6 only?

yasuda
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Post by yasuda » Jan 04, 2016 6:11 pm

The statistics from Google that you linked show IPv6 availability roughly doubling every year since 2011. So in a year, 20%, then 40% the next year if the trend holds that long. Given what has been said about the work required to add IPv6 support to Veeam, I hope you're getting started.

Perceptum
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jason Topor

Post by Perceptum » Jan 04, 2016 7:49 pm 1 person likes this post

Without any help, if one is given only a IPv6 address, they will not be able to see IPv4 websites. This is also true if a person only has an IPv4 address and tries to visit a site that only has an IPv6 address. The solution is called "carrier-grade NAT". Quora has a good explanation: https://www.quora.com/If-I-have-an-IPv6 ... v4-address.

MPlesnerJ
Veeam Software
Liked: 23 times
Full Name: Martin Plesner-Jacobsen

Post by MPlesnerJ » Jan 06, 2016 8:30 pm

Google just hit the 10% using IPv6 overall, with Belgium leading the pack with 44%
https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html