IPv6 support in veeam v9

VMware specific discussions

Re: IPv6 support in veeam v9

Veeam Logoby BAR4all » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:03 pm

I see that this is an old thread; but it's what I found.

Why, oh why is Veeam still on the fence about IPv6?
It's not that I don't want to use Veeam. I simply can't. More that half of my Hosts are IPv6 only; this was needed because vCenter does not support NAT. On my next large implementation I'll have to choose a vendor. It looks like Veeam does want to be a contender "again".
Get on with it already and give us full IPv6 support. Is it that much of a technical challenge for your coders? IPv6 is here to stay. Why does Veeam hesitate on this? How can a so called "visionary" company not see this clearly? I have been to numerous tech sessions and the get the same answers and questions from Veeam staff. Here it is again: we don't want IPv6 support, we need it.

Have someone from sales give me a call when and only when you can fully support IPv6.

Thanks.
Backup and Recovery guy.
BAR4all
Lurker

Liked: never
Full Name: Luis Silva

Veeam Logoby yasuda » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:08 pm

To update my post from almost 11 months ago, https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html shows the geometric growth in IPv6 has leveled off somewhat. It was 9% at the beginning of 2016, and it looks like it finish the year around 14 or 15%. (I'm not sure how to interpret the spread in the graph, so maybe it's best to use the middle.) IPv6 is showing steady growth for sure.

Not shown, and perhaps what is most important to Veeam, is the percentage of IPv6 nodes that do not have IPv4 available.

I hope everyone who can't use Veeam because of lack of IPv6 will continue to post.
yasuda
Enthusiast

Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Peter Yasuda

Veeam Logoby bpr-backup » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 pm

V9.5 U1 will also not work with IPv6!!

When I received the message from support to make sure that IPv6 was not used ... It was so demoralizing. We use IPv6 (no dual stack) only on our back-haul into our private cloud.

I'm really glad to see this thread, that we are not the only ones to be disabled by the lack of IPv6 in B&R.

It's really fascinating that the dev's were so engineering-inept when creating this application. It was really short signed to not include a protocol that has been finalized since 1996 into a product that came out in 2008 from the get-go, 12 years well into IPv6 existing as a network standard.

If it's not on the near-horizon to fix the lack of IPv6 in the B&R app, we too will have to drop the product.
bpr-backup
Novice

Veeam Logoby footplus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:45 am

Hello,

At least, you may enable listening over IPv6 for the Cloud Connect Gateway Service, for hosting providers.

Best regards,
Aurélien
footplus
Lurker

Full Name: Aurélien

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:34 am

Hi Aurélien, do you mean for when tenant communicates with the service provider over IPv6? Yes, I see this as the first thing we'll be adding once we get to IPv6 support. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2383 times

Veeam Logoby footplus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:15 am

Yes, that would be the first step.

Next steps would be "just" allowing binding IPv6's in the various internal protocols Veeam uses, so that we can make a full-IPv6 architecture.

And, finally, enabling IPv6 on the DRaaS gateways, but I think this is more complex, since protocols like DHCPv6 are to be implemented, and the current available settings are quite limited for IPv4 already.

Best regards,
Aurélien,
footplus
Lurker

Full Name: Aurélien

Veeam Logoby sege » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:56 am

Will communication between Veeam server -> repository (Linux/SSH) work IPv6 only? We're starting an environment from scratch and are building IPv6 only to get rid of legacy as much as possible and I'd really like to stay away from IPv4.
sege
Novice

Full Name: Johan Segernäs

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 pm

Will communication between Veeam server -> repository (Linux/SSH) work IPv6 only?

No, currently it will not. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby deevie » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 pm

Communication with a vsphere host/vcenter from VEEAM also fails over IPv6. I you know Belgium is scoring almost 50% on the google statistics it's very strange there's still software released that does not yet support IPv6. The only reason we have still Ipv4 in our DC is for veeam to work properly.
deevie
Influencer

Veeam Logoby sege » Tue May 16, 2017 10:42 am

Is IPv6 support in the roadmap at least? I think it is very disappointing such a modern product doesn't support something that necessary.
sege
Novice

Full Name: Johan Segernäs

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere