Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chris_lalala
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris

Re: IPv6 support in veeam v9

Post by chris_lalala » 2 people like this post

Agree with Service Providers, and University's are not innocent in wasting addresses. If we would put our clients behind a NAT we had enough v4 range for the next century. :roll:
NortheR73
Lurker
Liked: never

[MERGED] Exchange 2013 IP-Less DAG (IPv6 only, CAAP-less) Backup

Post by NortheR73 »

Hi,
We are looking for backup solution on Exchange 2013 IP-less DAG. Our DAG nodes have only IPv6 addresses so there is no CNO (cluster name object), no CAAP (cluster administrative access point), no cluster/DAG IP. Cluster management is performed by powershell, DAG management - by EAC
Problem: Veeam 9.5 can't connect to our Exchange servers raising error "Error: Host '...' is unreachable: No IPv4 addresses visible"

Is it possible to use Veeam Backup in this Exchange environment?
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Post by wishr »

Hi NortheR73,

At this point, only IPv4 configurations are supported, but we keep an eye on the overall situation and consider IPv6 support as a potential feature, but no ETA yet as mentioned above.

Please note, that I've moved your post in the existing thread covering the IPv6 support topic. Please take a look.

Regards,
Fedor
jeroen_st
Lurker
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jeroen van den Berg

Post by jeroen_st »

I would love to see IPv6 in the cloud connect service / all VEEAM backup products.
The only application that works without a problem on IPv6 is the VEEAM Availability console and the Cloudconnect portal (but that runs on MS IIS)
We have 2 internet providers at our location one is IPv4 only the other is IPv6 only, speedtest:
IPv4 Speed 9.89 Mbit/s
IPv6 Speed 49.6 Mbit/s

This question has been asked almost exactly 7 years (Jan 22, 2012) ago and there is still no ETA or timetable available?

Most backup providers and software solutions support IPv6 in most of their products (CA ArcServ/Crashplan/Symantec DLP/Veritas Backup Exec/etc) is it not time yet?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

It's not about whether it's time or not, or what competition is doing - but rather about overall feature priority. Lack of IPv6 support simply has not been a pressing need of our existing customer base, unlike some other features of the same magnitude.
bpr-backup
Novice

Post by bpr-backup »

@Gostev: It really is quite frustrating for those of us who have IPv6 only networks and Veeam Backup does not work, and have to concoct some work-around for a 20+ year old protocol (Formalized in 1998). Really, Veeam dropped the ball and didn't plan right, it would have been very easy to build IPv6 in when everything was being constructed in the first place. I have been using IPv6 in some form or capacity since 2003. Even if your customers back then didn't need it, it was still a formalized internet protocol of TCP, and should have been planned since day 1.The Veeam organization was started when IPv6 was a known quantity.

-Another customer (in your base) who has to use work-arounds for Veeam alone or other products to backup using our IPv6 networks.
marco.horstmann
Veeam Software
Liked: 105 times
Full Name: Marco Horstmann

Post by marco.horstmann » 3 people like this post

@bpr-backup: it is just not only to implement a new protocol, you also need to test all components if they work in IPv4 only, IPv4&6 mixed, IPv6 only networks. This would IMHO tripple the needed QA time for testing our solution. This is for every update and release. It's a huge backpack you need to carry with you.

I'm not member of Product Management or R&D, "only" field engineer, but none of my known projects has IPv6 as showstopper. Other features are there more important as Anton already mentioned.
Marco Horstmann
Senior System Engineer @ Veeam Software

@marcohorstmann
https://horstmann.in
VMware VCP
NetApp NCIE-SAN for 7-Mode and Clustered Ontap
jockisch
Lurker

Post by jockisch »

Hello,

in my opinion the ipv6 support is a tragedy.
IPv6 is a base technology since many years.

Yes some company have problems with this networkstack, but Veeam will be the #1 in Backup and Recovery.

And the big player can do it:

MS - supports IPV6 only (since years)
VMware - supports IPV6 only
netapp - supports IPV6 only

We have started with an ipv6 only infrastructure with these products - and the only obstruction is Veeam.
Now we must mixed ipv4 and ipv6 in public and privates IPs - its very scary
A Support call for a problem tooks more then four weeks, because the infrastructure and the connections problems are very difficult to understand for all engineers.

Veeam has no idea, no plan, no timetable for an implementation !
But every week i hear about "new" features, even more cloud, and more partner connections.

The other way arround, veeam speaks about the difficulty to change all components to IPV6.
Does it not make sense to implement first the basic, and then the options above?

Veeam wake up, do your homework, so you can really claim the number one.

@marco.horstmann - we have a project with ipv6 only, the missing function is a showstopper. In the near future we must decide: cancel the project or search for an other competitor. On both way we return the licenses, and then we must verify whether to change completely our Backup product.

I Think, more people have the problem but dont speak about it - either they use ipv4 or private adresses in a very suboptimal way, or they leave veeam and tell nobody.

Veeam is a good product, we like it. It wold be a shame if we must change it.

Greetings
Stephan
barry
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Nich Warren

[MERGED] Adding IPv6 Support

Post by barry »

We recently deployed vmware and, because it's new, it is setup using IPv6. When adding veeam we discovered veeam did not support an IPv6 only environment.

To work around this issue we had to setup a NAT64; it's a pain, but it works well enough.

It would be really nice for veeam to support IPv6.
sege
Novice
Full Name: Johan Segernäs

Post by sege »

How is the IPv6 support coming up? I BIG shame Veeam doesn't support IPv6. How about getting some traction around this? I'll soon have to look at solutions supporting the standard tech stack as of 2019. I was just going to use the Linux agent to backup some external servers for a customer when figuring out the agent needs to contact the Veeam server, the Veeam repo and whatnot. Yeah, not a problem with v6 but we just don't have enough v4 addresses to put everything public. So, now I have to build ipsec tunnels or whatnot to solve it.

The lack of v6 support is a huge PITA.

Look at this:
https://www.ripe.net/publications/ipv6- ... lable-pool

Comments like 'if universities would use NAT we'd have IPv4 forever' are just insane. NAT as an ugly solution to a problem solved with IPv6 and should not be used at all.
iamcts
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by iamcts » 3 people like this post

I really feel bad for the Veeam staff in this thread.

Just because you want a feature, that doesn't mean Veeam is obligated to please you. I'm sure they would love to get IPv6 implemented at some point, but if a microscopic piece of their users require IPv6, then it doesn't make sense for them to drop everything they're doing just to implement IPv6. Clearly you all have workarounds that you're using, so use them until Veeam adds the feature you need.

There are features I would love that don't include IPv6, but I'm not going to regurgitate it over and over on the forums and expect a different response from Veeam.
barry
Novice

Post by barry » 1 person likes this post

@iamcts We are just asking that a software vendor, who implements the internet protocol, conform to RFC8200 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8200).

There's a difference in "a nice feature to have" and a standard. It isn't a crazy request; they brag about working with the US Federal government (https://www.veeam.com/federal.html), and the federal government requires IPv6 (https://policy.cio.gov/web-policy/ipv6/ https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whiteh ... -17-06.pdf)

Not that this thread matters though, when I called product support they said I was the first one who even asked. _Clearly_ a lie judging by this thread.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr » 1 person likes this post

Hi Nich,

Did you notice that your link states IPv6 support is mandatory only for "public/external facing servers"? ;)

Anyway, I can confirm that IPv6 support IS planned (just cannot provide ETA at the moment).

Thanks
darecki
Influencer
Full Name: Darek Margas

Post by darecki »

I just wonder what is that hard with IPv6. All windows under have dual stack so as long, as Veeam does not use raw socket, it doesn't matter which protocol transfers data. Except for some legacy (such as ARP and broadcasts in general) whatever IPv4 supports, IPv6 does too. So what is missing? Yet certainly IPv6 has a lot of nice components such as address belonging to server not interface and embedded IPsec (AH and ESP) which solves all the security problems making firewalls redundant. No bottleneck on VPN encryption and can keep counting stuff from IPv6 not available on IPv4.
barry
Novice

Post by barry »

Thank you for the update wishr. Is there a list I can get on to be emailed when it's coming out of alpha/beta/testing and into production? We will need to reconfigure our network at that time.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You can follow these forums' weekly digest. There we share information about upcoming features, starting of private beta program and so on.

Assuming we had IPv6 support coming, we would probably announce it in forums' digest earlier on to get people with required infrastructure test it, while it's in beta stage.

Thanks!
danieljloughlin
Lurker
Full Name: Daniel Loughlin

Post by danieljloughlin »

We just started a project with a Veeam Partner to move all our backup systems to Veeam.

Is there really no IPv6 yet?

If so we won't be buying Veeam as 75% of our network is IPv6 only, including all our links to our off site storage locations.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Post by Gostev »

That is correct, there's no IPv6 support yet - so unfortunately, sounds like Veeam is not an option for you at the moment.
janett-nc
Lurker
Full Name: Nicola Janett

[MERGED] IPv6 only Systems

Post by janett-nc »

Hello
We need urgently support for B&R on IPv6 only systems.
vCenter, ESX and VEEAM B&R Server are only on IPv6 accessable.

Can you tell me when the support comes for this need?
Perhaps with v10?

Thanks and kind regards
Nicolà
wishr
Veteran

Re: IPv6 only Systems

Post by wishr »

Hi Nicola,

IPv6 support is not coming in v10, but it is planned for future releases. I hope you understand that we cannot share ETA yet.

I'm merging your topic with an existing discussion - please take a look.

Thanks
janett-nc
Lurker
Full Name: Nicola Janett

Post by janett-nc »

Hello Fedor

Thank for your reply.
I hope this feature will come soon, so that we can implement this for our customers.

Do you have a mailinglist to receive news about that?

Thanks
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Nicola,

Thank you for the feedback. Please make sure you are subscribed to the weekly forum digest to stay up to date on Veeam product news and receive other useful technical information related to the datacenter technologies. I'll also publish news about IPv6 development here in this thread once we have something to share with the community.

Cheers!
jockisch
Lurker

Post by jockisch »

Hi veeam IPv6 Developers,

even the U.S. Federal Government Plans for IPv6-Only Readiness !!!

"Before the end of fiscal 2021, agencies will need to have a plan in place to hit 80% IPv6-only systems by 2025."
https://www.nextgov.com/it-modernizatio ... on/163459/

I hope that veeam is faster than a federal agency :-(

Cheers
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Jockisch,

Thank you for the feedback, your vote is noted. We have some work going on in this direction, just cannot share any ETA at the moment.

Thanks
Asahi
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Iio Asahi

Post by Asahi »

Hi,

What is the current plan for the status of IPv6 support for Veeam? :D

Kind Regards,
Asahi,
Climb Inc.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Asahi, the previous comment from Fedor is still relevant - it is on a priority list for us but no particular ETA atm.
matthis
Lurker
Full Name: Matthias Kreis

[MERGED] Re: Failed to resolve IP's for repository ?

Post by matthis »

Veeam seems still not IPv6 ready yet.
Basic backup and restore is still broken in version 11.
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Matthias,

Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

We are aware of that situation and are planning to address it in future product versions.

P.S. I've moved your post to the relevant topic.

Thanks
matthis
Lurker
Full Name: Matthias Kreis

Post by matthis »

Hello

Thanks for the information. Keep in mind, you are already late with IPv6 support and you have already broken concepts and implementation of Veeam on IPv6 only networks.
So I hope you are talking about version 12 and not later. Or it will be too late.

Other backup products are supporting IPv6..

Regards Matthias
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Hi Matthias,

Historically, the features we choose to get implemented in each release are mostly based on the customer needs and feedback. So all that is just a subject of prioritization.

Stay tuned for updates. We are aware of the demand ;).