Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
pirx
Veeam Legend
Liked: 52 times

Re: Is it possible to exclude VM(s) from SureBackup job?

Post by pirx »

When you configure an advanced multi-host virtual lab, you must select an ESXi host on which the proxy server will be created and DVS on which Veeam Backup & Replication will create isolated networks.
Do you use this? Is this really using different hosts? In my test I always have to select exactly one host in VL configuration which can not be changed afterwards.

Samba222
Service Provider
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Ronald

Post by Samba222 »

Thx Fabian, yes we have...
"...in that case" - but we dont have "that case" - we are using enterprise functionality without DVS and even if - I dont want to configure the DVS myself
so yes - please keep it simple in a normal use case with a host change in lifecyle process

From my point its often or maybe more and more here in the forum that an engineer comes with a laborious workaround instead of a useful, contemporary function. (or the understanding)

Thx
Ronald

pirx
Veeam Legend

Post by pirx »

I'm puzzled and still can not belief that I can't make advanced settings (disable ping / heartbeat) for VM's that do not exist anymore. Can someone confirm this or point me to a setting that I'm missing?

Example: a VM was created, backed up and then deleted because the install was broken (or no install was done at all). The VM is on SOBR with S3 extent + immutability, so no chance to delete it from backup before retention of 10 weeks + some-not-always-clear-extra-time is over. SB now tries to verify the VM every time it runs and fails. Okay, no exclude possible in SB, we know this (and I did not try the SB exclude patch yet as it seems that it might be revoked soon...).

But I want to disable heartbeat and ping test for this VM. So I go to Linked Jobs -> Advanced -> Add and search for the VM. Nothing. As far as I can see the search does not include VMs from the backup job it only checks vCenter for the name. That simply doesn't make sense.

So if someone can confirm this or even better has an idea to solve this I'd be happy. I asked support now multiple time and didn't get an answer (other than SB is special...)

Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 593 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Pirx,

Verification Settings window works the way to display current linked job's objects list, so true, if you have an infrastructure-added(say, Resource Pool, for example) backup job, it will not display respectful (deleted) machine under SureBackup > LJ > Advanced list. Tree will be built based on current resource pool status.

As for ideas to solve this, you can add this machine using "from backup" option to Application Group for that SureBackup job and configure it's granular settings there. App Groups has priority over LJ and will pick that VM's settings from there.

/Thanks!

pirx
Veeam Legend

Post by pirx »

With an AG in addition to the Linked Job I can now disable ping/heartbeat for the deleted VMs. Nothing that works for going live, but at least the test job does not fail every day.

Ben.online
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

Post by Ben.online »

+1 for VM exclusions!

Or creating jobs based on Vm's and not linked jobs to make a selection.
We now have the situation where IaaS clients are in backup Job X
But because they all have there own subnet not all networks within that job can be mapped because of the maximum of 9 nics in the vlab
This makes creating Vlabs and linked jobs a nightmare and inflexible

TWuser
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: TW

Post by TWuser »

Thought I had already +1 this before, but it's a giant hole in SureBackup and is so frustrating it's not surprise most customers don't utilize it.
As per Ben's point above, exclusions and/or ability to create jobs based on VMs and not Linked jobs.

alessandro.dallari
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: alessandro.dallari

Post by alessandro.dallari »

+1 for VM exclusions!

As we have some deleted vms, not existing anymore in the production environment, but presents on gfs backup.
sure backup job try to mount them anyway, directly from archive cloud storage, then thei fails anytime.