Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sitelogin20
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Msfsite

Is veeam 7.0 slower than veeam 6.5?

Post by sitelogin20 »

I was installed veeam B&R 6.5 32 bit on a virtual machine (server 2003 sp2 32bit) on host1 (with ESXI5 installed on HP DL380 g7) and configure it to backup all of 7 vms ( except its VM) to a share folder on the other server (Share folder was a SAN volume on that physical server). I saw that veeam 6.5 done its work in about 1 hour. VM has 6GB ram and 4 cores CPU
according to company changes we create a vm named veeam server on host2 with 10GB ram and 6 cores CPU(with HP customized ESXi5 u1 on HP DL380 G8) and install windows server 2008 R2 on it and then install veeam B&R 7 on it and configure it to backup mentioned VMs on host1 to a SAN volume mapped to itself (we use pass-through and install HBAs for veeam server and map a SAN volume to create backup on it).
both of host1 (previous host of veeam 6.5) and host2 (new host for veeam 7) has 1GB/s NIC connected to a same cisco switch.
BUT UNFORTUNATELY i SEE THAT NEW SERVER WITH BETTER RESOURSES HAVE A SLOWER BACKUP SPEED and its take about four hours to create backup of mentioned VMs. I wondered because I see veeam 7 uses parallel VM utilization but slower speed.
I was hanged,why Vm with a better resources and direct access to SAN volume in a newer server hardware is slower than a VM with less resources that use shared folder as a backup destination to backup same VMs on a same host?
Is that my misconfiguration in veeam 7 or its a veeam 7 problem and bug?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Is veeam 7.0 slower than veeam 6.5?

Post by foggy »

What transport mode was used by the second Veeam B&R server during the backup (you can check that in the job session log window, after selecting the particular VM to the left and looking for one of the transport mode tags ([hotadd] or [nbd])? Most likely, your first setup used hotadd mode, as it has proxy installed directly on the host and having access to the VM storage, while the second setup used network mode.
sitelogin20
Novice

Post by sitelogin20 »

Thanks for your replay foggy. I checked that and as I saw both of them using nhd.
and I saw that my colleague move the new VM to the host1 ( actually both of VMs used for B&R 6.5 and 7 are in the same host.) but the problem is exist,the differences are their OSes and their backup destination, the first one is a volume directly connected to a physical server on the network and the second one is a volume directly connected to the VM where veeam 7 is installed.
I checked one more thing, I was add whole of host in my new backup job whereas I was add VMs instead in the old server, is this my point of a problem?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

sitelogin20 wrote:I checked one more thing, I was add whole of host in my new backup job whereas I was add VMs instead in the old server, is this my point of a problem?
Should not be the case if the amount of backed up data is the same.

Could you please compare the bottleneck stats reported for both jobs?
sitelogin20
Novice

Post by sitelogin20 »

Thank you everyone indeed. I found the problem.
It was misconfiguration and not a Veeam problem.
When I was in a vacation, my colleague change the new job properties.
He changed the compression from optimal to full and it cause more network traffic and more processing time.
in addition he removed synthetic full backups and instead add monthly full backup. indeed full backups need more time than synthetic full backups. in our case synthetic full backup takes about 30 minute whereas full backup takes about 5 hour.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Glad you were able to nail this down. Thanks for updating the thread.