iSCSI targets in guest vm. How do I get them backed up?

VMware specific discussions

[MERGED] How to back up a Windows VM with an internal iSCSI

Veeam Logoby largechicken » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:30 am

Hello,

I have a few Windows cluster servers for redundancy in my multi site VMware setup. These have separate iSCSI targets to separate datastores for SQL clustering. Whats the best way to incorporate the full VM with iSCSI target data into a Veeam solution?

Thanks
largechicken
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Shane Corcoran

Re: iSCSI targets in guest vm. How do I get them backed up?

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:40 am

Hi Shane,

Disks connected via in-guest iSCSI initiator cannot be backed up since these disks are not visible in VM configuration file, so you should convert these disks into vRDM or regular VMDKs to back them up.

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1104 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby largechicken » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Do you know if converting to a vRDM would effect performance on a SQL server cluster? Naturally i would have to take down a production cluster to make the changes so want to make sure that it's the correct path to follow. Ideally with a cluster setup 2 or more servers must have access to the same shared disks.
Thanks
largechicken
Novice

Full Name: Shane Corcoran

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:41 pm 1 person likes this post

Hi Shane,
there has always been an endless debate about RDM/VMDK performance comparisons, but since vSphere 5.0 there is really no performance difference between them. The choice for RDM only relates to design consideration and specific needs like Microsoft Clustering, otherwise there is really no more excuse to not use VMDK.

Also, you can convert pRDM to vRDM with only a quick shutdown of the VM, and then using storage vmotion convert vRDM to VMDK, so the effort is low...

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1336 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

[MERGED] iScsi Storage maps to VM

Veeam Logoby robbyde » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:29 am

Hi All,

I've got a file server that has a a drive directly mapped to it via the isci initiator that I'm keen to backup. How do I go about this as current Veeam ignores the drive complete.

Would I have to add the drive to the Veeam server?

Thanks
robbyde
Novice

Full Name: Rob Delbridge

Re: iScsi Storage maps to VM

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

Rob, as it is stated in Veeam B&R system requirements, disks connected via in-guest iSCSI initiator are not supported and are automatically skipped from processing. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1083 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

[MERGED] Linux VM with external device mounted

Veeam Logoby dbarroco » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:29 am

Hello,

I couldn't quite predict what would be the behaviour on this scenario. This is held up for a file server migration.

Original server: phisical machine with mounted iSCSI device

new VM server: 2 vmdisks - one for system (50g) and one for file shares (2T) (sda and sdb)

for migration purposes I attached a vmnic to the original iSCSI storage so that the copy would be lan free and phased, that is presented as sdc to the system.

I did include this machine on the backup job until the migration in concluded and the iSCSI device is unmounted. I could not see how a backup would behave beginning with the snapshot. since this is a production scenario could not even test. However is was curious on what would happen. Can anyone break it down to me?

Thank you
David
dbarroco
Novice

Full Name: David B

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:34 am

David, the VM will be backed up without the iSCSI disk, as it will be skipped during processing.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Question about Backup VM with connected LUN

Veeam Logoby MJeB » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:09 am

Hello,

I'am evaluating Veeam B&R 7 as a backup and DR environment for our datacenters and stumbled across a question: If I backup a VM that has a LUN attached that is used inside the Machine via iSCSI connector, is there a way that the mapped LUN will be backuped along with the machine or do we have to backup the LUN through our storage appliances?
MJeB
Novice

Liked: 3 times

Veeam Logoby dspjones » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:25 pm

I understand that iSCSI presented disks are skipped during backup but it seems to me that since MANY IT shops use such a configuration that at some point either VMWare or Veeam should figure out a way to allow this data to be visible to the backup. So the question is - will there ever be a way to natively backup iscsi targets with veeam? I'd assume the answer is no as long as VMWare can't "See" the target in the VMX but are you aware of any work on their part to make that happen? Right now, we just don't worry about the iscsi targets for backup through veeam. Since that data is on the SAN, we do replication via the SAN to our DR site. There is also a couple of iscsi targets on our production NAS but the data is "losable" meaning if the building explodes tomorrow, we could get the business back up without this data so we just ignore it for backup. But it sure would be nice to be able to back up iscsi targets natively with VMWare/Veeam.
dspjones
Enthusiast

Liked: 16 times

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:55 pm

What is the point of using iSCSI presented disks in VMs in 2014?
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

[MERGED] Veeam 8 backup of VM with MS iSCSI Initiator

Veeam Logoby vmNik » Fri May 15, 2015 12:51 pm

Hello all.

From what I know and seen in the past, Veeam was unable to backup a VM that contains internal MS iSCSI initiator LUN's. Is this still the case for Veeam 8 and all of the updates to-date? Is there a way to map an inside iSCSI connection to the Veeam job to perform such a task? I'm looking at a few Exchange boxes from back-in-the-day, and they were all set up this way, so I'm trying to capture these VM's with Veeam before detaching the internal MS iSCSI LUN's and going by-way of attaching them to the VMware hosts for iSCSI presentation. Doing some cleanup.

Any thoughts, please let me know. Thanks.
VCP5-DCV
vmNik
Novice

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Yes, this is still the case for v8 with the latest updates. Please see above for some hints.
foggy
Veeam Software

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere