Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
vlb
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Martyn Jeffrey

just a quick topology question

Post by vlb »

so we have a vbr connected to storeonce catalyst over FC (this server is obviously the gateway) , repo is in the vbr console and is added with a set of credentials.

My topoogy question is

If i add a backup proxy (direct san) how does it get direct access to the catayst given that the store once catalyst is only presented to the main server, and the proxy isnt a gateway server?

Does the proxy just transfer its direct san data to the nominated gateway (the main vbr server that holds the role) and the main vbr (gateway server) write the data to the storeonce?

I would have hoped that i could present the storeonce catalyst to the proxy and nominate the proxy as its own gateway to make 2 individual write streams of data.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: just a quick topology question

Post by Mildur »

Hi Martyn

Yes, only the gateway server talks to the storeonce when transporting backup data. Backup and Restore.
If you allow the proxy servers FC to access the storeonce, you can switch the gateway server to the same machine as the proxy server:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... -appliance

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
vlb
Influencer

Post by vlb »

ok no worries, thanks

the proxies run on 8gbs FC but the main VBR runs on 16GBS so i guess its best just to leave the data moving to the main vbr with the 16GBFC

thank you for your reply
vlb
Influencer

Post by vlb »

actually

according to this

https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/2_Design_Struc ... eonce.html

"To get the best level of performance, it’s also best to have multiple proxy/gateway servers in order to distribute the load and avoid saturating the maximum number of connections allowed from a single host. The Veeam Proxies chosen for the backup jobs should also act as Veeam Gateways"

That kinda implies you can have multiple gateways to distribute load...
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

True. You can have multiple gateway server. You can use both server to write to the StoreOnce, your physical machine with the proxy components and your backup server.

By the way, do you use a HPE Storeonce as your primary backup repository or secondary?
The Proxy Server will only send backups to the Gateway Server, if you use it as a backup repository for your backup jobs. We don't recommend using a dedup appliance as the primary repository.
Backup Copy Jobs are not leveraging the Backup Proxy component.

Thanks
Fabian
vlb
Influencer

Post by vlb »

Ok, but just for clarity, both cant be gateways at the same time and therefor write at the same time? Because that article implies you CAN have multiple gateways working in parallel thus "to distribute the load and avoid saturating the maximum number of connections allowed from a single host"

So just for clarity can you or cant you have multiple gateways writing to the same catalyst?

Yes we use the storeonce as our primary backup repo and we have another one located in a seperate site (our san, vmware etc are split over 2 sites)

our second storeonce is in site 2 and is used to house copy jobs.

thanks again for your reply
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Martyn

I'm sorry. There was a misunderstanding on my site. Multiple Gateway Server is on our roadmap for our next release and not available today.
In v10/v11, you can use only a single gateway server. You can't use multiple gateway server for a single catalyst store.
But you should be able to use a different gateway, if you add a second catalyst stores. I can't test it in my lab, because I don't have a FC network available. You can add then both repositories to a SOBR to have the SOBR as a single backup target for the jobs.

Thanks
Fabian
vlb
Influencer

Post by vlb »

hey no worries, really pleased it is being introduced though as it would really speed things up for us.

we could as you say add an additional store but because we have been using a single store for so long now (3 years i think) there is not much room left for another store

I guess i could speak nicely to the IT director and ask for another disk expansion :)

thank you for your input

Martyn