Kroll Ontrack PowerControls VS Veeam Explorer

VMware specific discussions

Kroll Ontrack PowerControls VS Veeam Explorer

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:34 am

Could someone help me to understand if Kroll Ontrack PowerControls and Veeam Explorer do the same thing (equivalent products) or there are differences?
Luca82
Service Provider

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: lo

Re: Kroll Ontrack PowerControls VS Veeam Explorer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:07 am 1 person likes this post

Have no experience with the said tool, so, can't commend on that. It seems to do restore application granular items, similar to what Explorers do. But Explorers are part of Veeam Backup and Replication product working with backup data produced by it. Since you have VB&R already deployed, I don't think it's a good idea to introduce a new solution (that lacks specific integration) just to perform the said restoration task.

Or you think something is missing in Veeam Explorers?

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:46 am 2 people like this post

Add price factor to that (about $1200 per 100 mailboxes for a perpetual license while Veeam Explorer for Exchange is free with Veeam B&R).
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1082 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:46 am

Thank you for your answer.
I was speaking to a customer and telling him about the awesome functionality about Veeam Explorer. He said me that he could do the same thing using San Snapshots and Kroll Ontrack.... so I was wondering if there are differences about the two products.
I said him that the Explorer can make a granular restore without installing any agent into the guest OS (but only the little AAIP script) ....
Yes, of course the Explorer are intended as a Veeam Tool.
Luca82
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Luca82 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:47 am

foggy wrote:Add price factor to that (about $1200 per 100 mailboxes for a perpetual license while Veeam Explorer for Exchange is free with Veeam B&R).

WOW, good answer ;)
Luca82
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:29 pm

Luca82 wrote:Could someone help me to understand if Kroll Ontrack PowerControls and Veeam Explorer do the same thing (equivalent products)?

Yes, they are pretty much identical in terms of functionality.

Luca82 wrote:I was speaking to a customer and telling him about the awesome functionality about Veeam Explorer. He said me that he could do the same thing using San Snapshots and Kroll Ontrack

Most likely, he was talking about physical Exchange server with mailbox store LUN hosted on SAN, because Kroll does not support application item recovery from storage snapshots of VMFS LUNs (which is something our Veeam Explorer for Storage Snapshot does).
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2350 times

Return to VMware vSphere