Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
djmc
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Declan McCann

Location for replica Metadata

Post by djmc »

Hi,
We are replicating our VMs (vSphere) to our DR site using Backup and Replication v9.5. We have deployed two B&R servers, bkp which is located in the prod DC and manages local backups to a local DDBoost Device on Data Domain. And Rpl which is located at the DR site and manages Replication from Prod to DR. Currently the replication metadata goes to the default repository on the Rpl server.
The Rpl server does not currently see the Data Domain repository in the prod DC. Can I use the same DDBoost repository in production, which is used for local backups, to store the Replication metadata or should I create a new DDBoost repository specifically for the replication metadata?
Also how do I manage the retention of the replication metadata, I seem to have data going back almost 6 months when for most VMs we are only keeping one restore point?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
DJ
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Location for replica Metadata

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Declan,
djmc wrote:Can I use the same DDBoost repository in production, which is used for local backups, to store the Replication metadata or should I create a new DDBoost repository specifically for the replication metadata?
You can use any repository for replication metadata, it shouldn't take much space, feel free to put it to the same repository. However, please keep in mind this behavior > Sharing proxies/repository between different servers
djmc wrote:Also how do I manage the retention of the replication metadata, I seem to have data going back almost 6 months when for most VMs we are only keeping one restore point?
You don't need to manage it, since it should honor your replication job retention policy. Can you clarify how you see that data goes back to 6 months?

Thanks!
DeadEyedJacks
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Dead-Data

Re: Location for replica Metadata

Post by DeadEyedJacks »

My experience is that Veeam doesn't allow Replication Metadata to be stored within an EMC DDBoost container.
https://www.veeam.com/kb1956