Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert
Liked: 18 times
Full Name: Jonathan Barrow

LUN Backup and Storage vMotion

Post by jbarrow.viracoribt »

Let's say you have a backup job backing up an entire LUN, LUN 11. The job runs fine for a week, then someone performs a Storage vMotion on a VM that was on LUN 11 and moves it to LUN 22. Lun 22 happens to have it's own backup job deined that does the same thing, backs up the entire LUN. I would assume that the VM would be picke up by the LUN 22 backup job, but what happens to the data on LUN 11 from this VM's prior backups?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: LUN Backup and Storage vMotion

Post by foggy »

Yes, the VM being moved will be picked up by the corresponding job and a full backup of that VM will be performed. The VM will fall out of the original job according to the Deleted VMs retention period setting.

If you actively use svMotion in your environment, I would not advise to configure jobs by datastore as source container. It's more practical to use some other container (that would not be impacted by VM location) or select VMs individually.
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

We hardly ever storage vMotion, most VM's stay in the same place. It was just something I was curious about.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Thats exactly the way we do our backups here (per LUN). And we do alot of storage vMotion :) Works for years now here for about 2000 VMs.

Anyway theres one thing you should take care of if using reversed incrementals with this approach. Your fullbackup file will never shrink meaning you should perform a new active full from time to time to reclaim disk space.
jbarrow.viracoribt
Expert

Good info about reversed incremental. Our jobs are configured for Incremental with synthetic fulls on Sunday's.
dellock6
VeeaMVP
Liked: 1932 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Haris, I hope for you you are not going to use Storage DRS, adding it to your backup design would transform it in a nightmare :P

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1