Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Adrian Hinton

Manual Cleaning of Target Repository

Post by AdrianHinton »

Hi all,

If the need arises, what is the best way to manually clean your backup copy folders? Such as in the case of a corrupted increment or full and you re-map your job. How can you determine which files to be deleted?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Manual Cleaning of Target Repository

Post by veremin »

AdrianHinton wrote:If the need arises, what is the best way to manually clean your backup copy folders?
Shorten retention policy and let it delete unnecessary backup data in automatic fashion.
AdrianHinton wrote:such as in the case of a corrupted increment or full and you re-map your job.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by corrupted increment? Are probably talking here about incomplete increments (ones that haven't been processed completely during sync interval)?

Thanks.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast

Post by AdrianHinton »

I have had times where a copy job has failed and I have moved the data to a new directory, remapped the job and continued. I can see that there are some files not in use by the job and they look like candidates for manual removal.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Everything prior to the latest full backup is not in use by the backup copy job and can be removed.
AdrianHinton
Enthusiast

Post by AdrianHinton »

I've opened #00614219 because the backup job properties show 9 increments (8 when using Get-VBRRestorePoint) and on the repo there are 116 .vib's. I just need an official response before doing the cleaning.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2257 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Are they dependent on the latest full backup or they were created prior to it? In the latter case, you can simply delete them, as Foggy's pointed us. Thanks.