Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

Memo to the Veeam developers: SQL database restores

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo »

Memo to the Veeam developers about SQL database restores:
Please modify the code of the SQL database restore helper agent so that it creates an exception for itself in the Windows firewall upon launch, and removes the exception upon close.
This will allow SQL database restores to work without the user being required to manually temporarily disable the windows firewall on the SQL server for it to work.
As end users we cannot pre-create the exceptions because the binary runs from a random different temporary folder every time and uses random ports.
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Memo to the Veeam developers: SQL database restores

Post by PetrM »

Hi Mark,

I appreciate your feedback but we require to open the specific ports, more info can be found here. Also, not sure that such an automatic exception would be acceptable from security perspective.

Thanks!
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo »

I did notice this on the documentation page:
"Note: You must manually open TCP ports 1025 to 1034 for Veeam.SQL.Service.exe in Microsoft Windows Firewall."
Any chance of a checkbox on the restore dialogue "open these TCP ports automatically?" so that the helper agent can do this automatically?
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Mark,

In fact, everything is possible. The main question is the balance of available engineering resources and the number of similar requests. I cannot say that we see this request very often. On the other hand, it seems that if we reduced the overall number of the required ports, it would also solve the issue even without the checkbox. Anyway, your request is noted!

Thanks!