Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rodneyaz
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rodney Stalnaker

Migrate one VM from old host

Post by rodneyaz »

I'm new to Veeam and I'm still trying to understand exactly how the licensing model works. I'm licensed for 2 cpu's of Essentials Backup Enterprise. I have installed the license on a VM that's running Veeam Backup & Replication. I've successfully been backing up VMs on our new VMWare host. I have one lonely VM still hanging out on our old VMWare host. I do not have vMotion. I saw that Veeam has the capability to live migrate a VM from one host to another. Before I do that I wanted to just make a backup of the VM. When I tried this, I got a Task failed Error: Not enough licenses. My assumption is that's because I'm running Veeam on the new Host and the licenses are being applied to the two cpus in that host, while my lonely VM I'm trying to migrate is on a different host.

I believe I could install Veeam free on a VM on the old Host and do a backup of the VM and also live migrate to the new host. Without purchasing more licenses (since this is a one-off instance where I'd be doing this), is there any other option to accomplish this?

Somewhat related licensing question: If I were to setup a proxy server outside of the current VM I'm running with Veeam Backup & Replication on it, would that require more cpu licenses as well if that proxy server was running on a different VMware host than my current host?

Thanks for any recommendations/information you can provide about this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Migrate one VM from old host

Post by foggy »

Hi Rodney, thanks for joining the community.

Besides the option with installing Veeam Backup Free (which is fine), you can temporarily revoke the license from the current host, backup the VM residing on the old one (license will be automatically assigned to it), revoke the license again and continue backing up VMs on the new host.

Installing additional proxy servers does not require any licenses. Only hosts you're backing up/replicating from are licensed.
rodneyaz
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rodney Stalnaker

Re: Migrate one VM from old host

Post by rodneyaz » 1 person likes this post

I got the VM moved successfully. Thanks for the clarification also on proxy servers and licensing.