Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Ci2Group
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Migrating Veeam to a Management domain

Post by Ci2Group »

I have created a support request for this as well - 06292369

We are considering moving our veeam infrastructure to a management domain as detailed here (https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/Security/Security_domains.html)
I have read through some other posts about having multiple VBR servers but I was not able to find any additional info on my specific situation and just wanted to ensure that it is possible if we take the proper precautions with job scheduling and repo configuration.

We are currently using Vsphere with VXrails. We want to create the new forest and add a VBR server and proxies to the new forest and then add then be able to backup the VMs on the VXrails infrastructure
Will we be able have both VBR servers running and slowly migrate jobs to the new 'management' domain VBR or do we have to do it all at once?
Will there be any issues with the Vsphere cluster hosts being managed or communicating with different VBR servers ? Will it be possible for the VBR servers to run backups at the same time but for different VMs
We would have different repos for all proxies (new and current domain).

Thank you.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Migrating Veeam to a Management domain

Post by Mildur »

Hello

Multiple backup server can connect to the same vSphere infrastructure. Just make sure, that a single VM is only processed by a single backup server at the same time.

Just move the backup server (and it's components one by one) to the new domain. No need of manual changes to the backup jobs. And backups will be able to continue the existing backup chains.
Moving VMs one by one to the new backup server, proxy and repository means, you need to manually move backup chains between the repositories. You will use fast cloning space savings. Our own VeeaMover (v12 deature) which can copy fast clone aware doesn't work between two backup servers today.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software