Migration to VCSA 6.5

VMware specific discussions

Migration to VCSA 6.5

Veeam Logoby sconley » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Now that 9.5 update 1 is out I am starting to look at moving to vSphere 6.5 and vCenter 6.5. I would like to move away from the Windows based vCenter server and migrate to the VCSA. If I use VMware's vCenter Server Migration tool to migrate to the VCSA can I expect to encounter the issues discussed in this KB https://www.veeam.com/kb2136 (namely my backups will stop working and require an active full)? Or can I expect things to "just work" since the migration tool migrates the ID of the old vCenter server to the new one?
sconley
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Sean Conley

Re: Migration to VCSA 6.5

Veeam Logoby lohelle » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:00 am 2 people like this post

I did this upgrade/migration this weekend.
After the migration to VCSA, I started upgrading some host. It is important that you to a rescan of VC/hosts after the upgrade, as I got backup failures before I did that. After a rescan, everything worked as before.
The first run was not an active full, but it seems that CBT was reset automatically, as first run seemed to read all data from the VMDKs (but only transferred the changes)
lohelle
Service Provider

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Lars O Helle

Re: Migration to VCSA 6.5

Veeam Logoby sconley » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Excellent. I can deal with backups taking longer due to CBT being reset, but was not looking forward to the possibility of new active fulls or having to work some database magic to avoid this. I will just make sure to do the upgrade on a weekend (which would be standard anyway) so that the backup window does not interfere with production.

Thanks for the info.
sconley
Enthusiast

Liked: never
Full Name: Sean Conley

Return to VMware vSphere