Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
barrell
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Barrell

Minimum componets for vSphere replication

Post by barrell »

Hi All

I have a requirement for a solution that needs replication and there are a few things still unclear to me. I looked at the simple deployment (in Deployment scenarios/User Guide's) and found the following model;

As a minimum can this be run on just 2 servers with local storage on each server? I only have around 20 users total in AD and I have very limited rack space due to the remote location of the hardware.
I'm also looking at option's for redundancy at the main sight (source site) so possibly thinking of a two node ESXi with vMotion? Then backing up to a remote site for a DR solution.

The key thing to achieve is minimal hardware for a cost effective solution hosting a very low user database.

Any help would be much appreciated.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Minimum componets for vSphere replication

Post by foggy »

Hi Lee, yes, you can replicate between two ESXi hosts with no issues.
barrell
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Barrell

Post by barrell »

I've changed the model somewhat now and have some additional questions.

I want to run a two node cluster as shown in the diagram, if I just want to backup to remote site and not use it for a true DR am I best just adding some storage there (removing the ESXi at remote site) and recover using the "Backup & Replication Console" from the local site (restoring the cluster over the WAN).

- Backup & Replication Console we be located on a desktop at main site
- Backup Server will be an appliance on the main ESXi cluster

veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

So, you're planning to store backups on production datastore (s)? If so, be aware that it's against best practice. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

barrell wrote: Jun 12, 2019 8:23 am I want to run a two node cluster as shown in the diagram, if I just want to backup to remote site and not use it for a true DR am I best just adding some storage there (removing the ESXi at remote site) and recover using the "Backup & Replication Console" from the local site (restoring the cluster over the WAN).
Yes, you can use the local console to restore backups in the remote site.