Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Jethron
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jed Sackett

Missed backups due to Maintenace Jobs

Post by Jethron »

B&R 9.5 with Update 3a. I use the 3-2-1 rule. The 2 copies that run local rarely have issues. My 3rd copy goes to an off-site cloud provider. Over the weekend my monthly Maintenance jobs ran (Storage-level corruption guard) for the off-site cloud provider. The maintenance jobs took 2 and 3 days to complete (Friday - Sunday), no idea why (this has not happened before). So, no cloud backup jobs ran during this time. On Monday the cloud backup jobs ran. I am struggling to understand if, for instance, my Exchange backups would even be valid since they would be missing the Friday - Sunday backups (they have the Thursday and Monday ones). I am not clear on how Veeam handles this. The job pulls from the "on-site" copy. Hopefully this makes sense.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Missed backups due to Maintenace Jobs

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Jed, Monday backup will copy all the changes occurred since the last job run on Friday, so don't worry about backups validity (provided you see no errors in the job session log).
Jethron
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jed Sackett

Re: Missed backups due to Maintenace Jobs

Post by Jethron »

Yes, the jobs are successful and I am able to perform an Exchange restore (I did a restore of a bunch emails as a test). I guess I just don't understand the "why it works" piece. I will go back to their documentation and try again to understand. Sometimes reading the job log can cause confusion because you think it says one thing but in reality it is doing something different (at least that is my opinion). I actually have a case open with Veeam right now trying to understand what my tape backups are actually backing up......even the Veeam tech has changed his answer 3 times. So, I guess I am in good company.