Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
StevenMeier
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Steven Meier

Monthly backups to hep StoreOnce 5250

Post by StevenMeier »

We are running Veeam 9.5 update 4
I have a HPE StoreOnce 5250.

I am wanting to configure Month End Full backups to go to the StoreOnce.
I have a weekly Full Backup job that is working to our Fast storage as a backup job which keeps 4 weeks on this Disk.

I tried creating a backup copy Job using the files from this job that would run on Day 1 of the month and using the GFS rotation.
(I know its the relationship between restore point to keep and GFS restore points where I am going wrong)
When I selected 12 restore points to keep, then in GFS settings under monthly select 12 also I get an error message about the backup Chain is longer than 28 which storeOnce does not support.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix this so the month end fulls just go to the storeonce and rotate around .

Thanks in advance.

Steve
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Monthly backups to hep StoreOnce 5250

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
did you maybe select "read entire restore point from source backup..."? By settings this option, you get a longer incremental chain than you might expect

Best regards,
Hannes
StevenMeier
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Steven Meier

Post by StevenMeier »

Yes the "read entire restore..." is selected.
Basically I only want to use a set of jobs as source to create monthly backups (12) for a year and then roll over again to the storeOnce .

I will try generating a job without that selected option and see if it creates the same error.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then you do not need to keep 12 restore points in the backup copy job regular part of the chain - GFS restore points have separate retention. With 'Read from source...' setting, backup chain follows simple forward incremental backup method retention, which requires more restore points on disk comparing to forever incremental method.