Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Moving B&R 9 to another server

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

Hello,

I will soon move our B&R to a new server and am following the excellent instructions on https://www.veeam.com/kb1889.
I am following the part where 'Performing migration using Configuration Backup' (i.e. we still have the existing machine & config backup) and was wondering whether once moved to the new host, the new host will then require to perform a 'full replication cycle' (i.e. recompute digests) or will it just perform the incremental replication cycle (i.e. CBT Tracking) ?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Moving B&R 9 to another server

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

It will be the incremental pass for all jobs, since moref IDs do not change for the VMs you back up. The only reason why you might have full job pass is a change of the vCenter Server (or re-registerration of the VM in the inventory).

Thank you!
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

Hello Vitaliy,

I successfully moved the server, however, your assertation was incorrect. It recomputed the digests and then did a full copy anyway. An aside, it is actually much faster if it just does the full copy and skip the digest computations. Is there a way to schedule a full copy (i.e. via a magic keyboard combo like Cntrl + Shift + right-click) anyway ? This would be particularly useful when you know that CBT tracking can't be used anyway. Or perhaps the digest computation is doing someting special like preserving the last x replica snapshots ?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hello,

That wasn't a full copy run, as digest calculation runs during the replica mapping process to compare differences between source and target VMs.
If it was a full replication run, then all existing restore points (which are simply snapshots) would have been deleted.
Please review existing thread with an example of what happens when a replication job initiate full run. Thanks!
Lyriclumpclass
Influencer

Post by Lyriclumpclass »

I understand now, it needed to do the digest calculation in order to preserve the existing replicas, which is understandable. My gripe was that the digest calculation was always slower than just clearing out the replicas (and deleting the replica VM) and then performing a full replication.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Replica isn't the same as image, in case you don't care about replicas restore points, you can clear them out and go for the full run of replication. Thanks!