Moving To New Repository

VMware specific discussions

[MERGED] Error after changing Veeam Linux NFS Repository

Veeam Logoby damocue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Hello,

I have a NAS with deduplication feature, on which I have 2 NFS shares. Actually I have the 2 shares connected to a Linux, who acts as backup repository in my infrastructure. As I have some connection problems on full backup executions, I'd like to have 2 Linux, each one acting as backup repository with one NFS share. And here is the problem. When I change target storage on Veeam jobs, at the end of edition I get this error:
Unable to get backup with id 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'

If I change after the target storage to its original location, then there isn't any problem, but at next execution of job, the result is a full, and it doesn't care if I do the second change or not. Has anyone seen this behaviour before?
Before this, I've moved/copied backups on other scenarios without any problem continuing backup chains, so I don't understand what is happening here :?

Regards,
damocue
Veeam ProPartner

Liked: never
Full Name: David Molina

Re: Moving To New Repository

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 pm

David, just to be sure, have you performed the procedure required to move backup files to the new repository (described in this thread above)?
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1078 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby damocue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Mmm... nop, and maybe this should be the failure cause...

It seems an epic fail is coming... :D
damocue
Veeam ProPartner

Full Name: David Molina

[MERGED] Re-pointing VB&R jobs to new location

Veeam Logoby fast_cat » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Hi,

I am trying to set up a scenario that will enable me to continue backups to a secondary site in the event of my primary storage going AWOL.

Scenario.. VB&R backups to datadomain storage in primary site . The datadomain replicates in the background to its secondary site datadomain....all works well here.

The primary site datadomain then breaks and is out of action for considerable time. I want to repoint my backup jobs to the secondary storage (which is an identical copy of the primary apart from its sharename) and then continue my backup jobs and preserve the existing backup chain..ie incrementals etc...)

Any thoughts ?

regards
fast_cat
Influencer

Liked: 1 time

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm 1 person likes this post

You can do it easily. Simply register the new DD share as a new repository in Veeam, and map existing backup jobs to this new repository so they can go on from the existing backup files instead of starting from scratch.
If you have several jobs, you can think about automate the re-mapping via powershell scripting.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1330 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 am

If you have several jobs, you can think about automate the re-mapping via powershell scripting

Unfortunately, at the moment there is no way to change the repository on a job via Veeam Powershell Snap-in. So, necessary actions should be taken manually.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby GlacierWaterIT » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:08 pm

Thank you Vitaly!
You saved me a support case!
GlacierWaterIT
Novice

Full Name: Wesley Olins

[MERGED] How to move a backup job destination?

Veeam Logoby jregel » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:58 pm

I've got multiple backup jobs that use a CIFS file share repository (\\BACKUPSAN\VEEAM). Each job is written into a different folder.

The problem is that I'm running out of space on the share and want to move some of the backups to a different filesystem and share (\\BACKUPSAN\VEEAM2).

What's the supported way to do this?

Do I simply need to move the backup job's folder to the new share, add a new backup repository to point to the new share and then edit the job to use the new repository?

We're doing incremental forever backups (with weekly synthetic fulls), so want to move the jobs without having to break the existing backup chain.

Thanks
jregel
Novice

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Julian Regel

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Julian, please follow the instructions to move backups to another repository, given in this topic above. In case of any additional questions, feel free to ask here. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby VladV » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 am

I am looking to attaching a new disk to our backup server and move my backups there for temporary maintenance. I would like to move the backups from VBR as easy as possible so I was thinking that after copying the files to just change the drive letter of the new drive to the old one to avoid removing the backup from the VBR, adding them back and mapping them.

Does this sound ok?

Thanks,
Vlad
VladV
Expert

Liked: 24 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:05 am

Yes, I believe it should work, assuming that the folder structure on the new drive is the same.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1099 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

[MERGED] how to change path existing repository

Veeam Logoby GBonset » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 am

I want to change the share / backup path in a existing repository which i have made.
Sadly it is grayed out, so my question is obvious.

case number is 00487218
GBonset
Lurker

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Please review the instructions on how to move backups to another repository given in this thread above. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby buddyfarr » Wed May 14, 2014 3:50 pm

ok I have the new repository created. what is the best way to move the backup files? I have tried to just open 2 windows explorer windows and cut and paste but it always says that the file cannot be moved because it is in use.

thank you,

Buddy Farr
buddyfarr
Novice

Full Name: Buddy Farr

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed May 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Are there any job running at the moment that lock corresponding backup files? Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 968 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere