Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
damocue
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: never
Full Name: David Molina

[MERGED] Error after changing Veeam Linux NFS Repository

Post by damocue »

Hello,

I have a NAS with deduplication feature, on which I have 2 NFS shares. Actually I have the 2 shares connected to a Linux, who acts as backup repository in my infrastructure. As I have some connection problems on full backup executions, I'd like to have 2 Linux, each one acting as backup repository with one NFS share. And here is the problem. When I change target storage on Veeam jobs, at the end of edition I get this error:
Unable to get backup with id 'XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX'
If I change after the target storage to its original location, then there isn't any problem, but at next execution of job, the result is a full, and it doesn't care if I do the second change or not. Has anyone seen this behaviour before?
Before this, I've moved/copied backups on other scenarios without any problem continuing backup chains, so I don't understand what is happening here :?

Regards,
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Moving To New Repository

Post by foggy »

David, just to be sure, have you performed the procedure required to move backup files to the new repository (described in this thread above)?
damocue
Veeam ProPartner
Full Name: David Molina

Post by damocue »

Mmm... nop, and maybe this should be the failure cause...

It seems an epic fail is coming... :D
fast_cat
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

[MERGED] Re-pointing VB&R jobs to new location

Post by fast_cat »

Hi,

I am trying to set up a scenario that will enable me to continue backups to a secondary site in the event of my primary storage going AWOL.

Scenario.. VB&R backups to datadomain storage in primary site . The datadomain replicates in the background to its secondary site datadomain....all works well here.

The primary site datadomain then breaks and is out of action for considerable time. I want to repoint my backup jobs to the secondary storage (which is an identical copy of the primary apart from its sharename) and then continue my backup jobs and preserve the existing backup chain..ie incrementals etc...)

Any thoughts ?

regards
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 1 person likes this post

You can do it easily. Simply register the new DD share as a new repository in Veeam, and map existing backup jobs to this new repository so they can go on from the existing backup files instead of starting from scratch.
If you have several jobs, you can think about automate the re-mapping via powershell scripting.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If you have several jobs, you can think about automate the re-mapping via powershell scripting
Unfortunately, at the moment there is no way to change the repository on a job via Veeam Powershell Snap-in. So, necessary actions should be taken manually.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
GlacierWaterIT
Novice
Full Name: Wesley Olins

Post by GlacierWaterIT »

Thank you Vitaly!
You saved me a support case!
jregel
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Julian Regel

[MERGED] How to move a backup job destination?

Post by jregel »

I've got multiple backup jobs that use a CIFS file share repository (\\BACKUPSAN\VEEAM). Each job is written into a different folder.

The problem is that I'm running out of space on the share and want to move some of the backups to a different filesystem and share (\\BACKUPSAN\VEEAM2).

What's the supported way to do this?

Do I simply need to move the backup job's folder to the new share, add a new backup repository to point to the new share and then edit the job to use the new repository?

We're doing incremental forever backups (with weekly synthetic fulls), so want to move the jobs without having to break the existing backup chain.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Julian, please follow the instructions to move backups to another repository, given in this topic above. In case of any additional questions, feel free to ask here. Thanks.
VladV
Expert
Liked: 25 times
Full Name: Vlad Valeriu Velciu

Post by VladV »

I am looking to attaching a new disk to our backup server and move my backups there for temporary maintenance. I would like to move the backups from VBR as easy as possible so I was thinking that after copying the files to just change the drive letter of the new drive to the old one to avoid removing the backup from the VBR, adding them back and mapping them.

Does this sound ok?

Thanks,
Vlad
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, I believe it should work, assuming that the folder structure on the new drive is the same.
GBonset
Lurker

[MERGED] how to change path existing repository

Post by GBonset »

I want to change the share / backup path in a existing repository which i have made.
Sadly it is grayed out, so my question is obvious.

case number is 00487218
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Please review the instructions on how to move backups to another repository given in this thread above. Thanks.
buddyfarr
Novice
Full Name: Buddy Farr

Post by buddyfarr »

ok I have the new repository created. what is the best way to move the backup files? I have tried to just open 2 windows explorer windows and cut and paste but it always says that the file cannot be moved because it is in use.

thank you,

Buddy Farr
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Are there any job running at the moment that lock corresponding backup files? Thanks.
buddyfarr
Novice

Post by buddyfarr »

No, I checked and made sure that there were no jobs running. I even tried rebooting my veeam server to make sure there were no lingering connections. we have a veeam server backing up to a Data Domain appliance.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

No restoration tasks as well, no SureBackup/Instant Recovery? Any chance it is held by DD itself (DataDomain Retention Lock, for example)?
buddyfarr
Novice

Post by buddyfarr »

yeah it is possibly in the Data Domain itself. still working on it. but there is nothing in Veeam that is holding it that I know of.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Let us know on your findings, please.
buddyfarr
Novice

Post by buddyfarr »

I just checked and there are no retention locks set on the Data Domain. It is currently disabled. hmmmmm....
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I suggest contacting technical support then, they will be able to review this case via webex session and probably find something that is not so obvious through forum correspondence.
CTCarp
Enthusiast

[MERGED] : new backup location v7

Post by CTCarp »

I want to move my backups to a different drive and Veeam doesnt recognize the drive in the drop down is 'backup repository created by upgrade' and doesnt show the other drive. What do I need to do to have it see the drive? reinstall or change settings in add/remove programs ? the server recognizes the drive btw.
CTCarp
Enthusiast

Re: new backup location v7

Post by CTCarp »

Sorry found it by poking around. I needed to add the repository and I am now importing backups and guest files.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Glad to hear that you've nailed it. Above you can find a complete description of migrating procedure. Thanks.
RomanAxBe
Influencer

Post by RomanAxBe »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hello Justin, have you tried this procedure?

- Remove from Backups (do NOT delete)
- Move the files to the new repository
- Right click the repository -> Rescan Repository
- Edit the Job -> Pick New Repository and map the job to the existing backup files
After moving from Repsitory to a new Veeam server, the backup jobs must be exactly the same?
On the old Server was one backup job, now i want to do multiple jobs (schedule).

But VMs are always the same...
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can split your job into multiple ones, however you would be able to map only one of them to the existing backup (you cannot map several jobs to the same backup), so other jobs would need to perform a full run.
marky
Enthusiast
Full Name: Mark Coleman

[MERGED] : changing repository and jobs

Post by marky »

I want to change all my jobs and the repository they use, is there an easy way to do this without breaking the current backup schedules and history?

Thanks
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Please, see answers provided about for detailed instructions on how backup files can be moved to a new repository. Thanks.
r.mckeon
Enthusiast
Full Name: Rick McKeon

[MERGED] Changing share name of CIFS backup repository drive

Post by r.mckeon »

I am using Veeam B&R 7.0. Currently I have some backup jobs which are using CIFS shares as backup repositories. Basically they are just external hard drives connected to a PC on the network. So I have a backup repository set for each external HDD, set as a CIFS backup repository, pointing to a network share mapped to a folder on the external drive. Now I need to move these hard drives to a new PC on the same network.

It seems that I cannot edit the share name of the CIFS share from the Backup Repository options in Veeam B&R (it's grayed out). Does this mean I have to create new backup repositories? Seeing as if before the share name to reach an external HDD was for example \\PC-A\share, it is now going to be for example \\PC-B\share. And if I create a new backup repository with the same settings except for the share name, will that affect the next backup run in any way? Are there any considerations I need to take?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Rick, please review the steps required to change the backup repository in the beginning of this thread. Thanks.