Discussions specific to the VMware vSphere hypervisor
5mall5nail5
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: None

[MERGED] Removed host, added back in, but jobs fail

Post by 5mall5nail5 » Aug 26, 2017 2:36 am

Hi all - I had to remove an ESXi host and (the VMs on its local datastore). When I add them back in and kick off Veeam, it doesn't reference the existing backups/incrementals. Problem is, one of my VMs is 12.9TB and I really don't want to have to run for 2 days doing an initial backup again. I do have the original VMs backup content on disk in the Veeam server. And, the VM was added back in and is the same VM that was removed. Is there a way to tell Veeam "don't create a new backup, use what's there"?

Rishi
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Rishi

Re: Removed host, added back in, but jobs fail

Post by Rishi » Aug 26, 2017 5:28 am

Yes, You can map existing backup data to new jobs. Just follow these steps: Create a new job/ edit a existing job -> in storage tab-right under Backup repository Click on "Map Backup" and select the backup file already in storage and you are done. Data gets mapped to this new job. Also documentation link for reference : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

5mall5nail5
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: None

Re: Removed host, added back in, but jobs fail

Post by 5mall5nail5 » Aug 26, 2017 6:58 am

I should add - I had to add the VMs back into inventory, so the IDs must have changed.

foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 1399 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Post by foggy » Aug 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Mapping the job to existing backup will not help, VMs that have changed their IDs will be still considered as new ones. You need to match the old IDs with the new ones, however, I'm not sure the vCenter Migration Tool mentioned above covers the standalone ESXi scenario.

Rishi
Service Provider
Full Name: Rishi

Post by Rishi » Aug 30, 2017 6:48 am

Mapping will work. The first run will read the entire VMDK, but any blocks that are already in the backup will not actually be copied.

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Aug 30, 2017 9:37 am

This is valid for reverse incremental backup mode only (and with per-VM chain setting disabled). In case of forward incremental, all the blocks will be copied to a new VIB file that will be similar to the full one in size.

CraigV
Influencer
Full Name: CraigV

[MERGED] Implications on backups when moving to a new VC

Post by CraigV » Sep 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi All,

We have to move and split an existing ESXi cluster. Currently it is a 7-host cluster, which will be split into a 5-host non-production cluster and a 2-host production cluster.
Currently all backups are provided through the use of a single Veeam server pointing to this 7-host cluster.

I'd like to know the following (assumptions of mine are in brackets):

1. What are the implications for Veeam when migrating the VMs to the new clusters? (I'd assume that we would just point Veeam to the new VC which in turn would allow it to see the new split clusters);
2. When we split manufacturing servers onto the production cluster, we would have to redo the backup jobs and settings. Veeam would not reference the old backups anymore, correct? We would then let the backups run for the set retention period, after which Veeam would expire the older backup sets of these VMs;
3. For the VMs that are left on the non-production cluster, would we be able to modify the backup jobs to include the remaining VMs on the 5-host cluster and then continue backups to the same directory etc. as per normal?

If I haven't explained it better, please let me know. Ideally we are trying to make this as pain-free as possible.

Thanks,

Craig

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Craig, generally, your understanding is correct. The main implication here is that uUpon being registered in the new vCenter, VMs will get their new IDs and be treated by Veeam B&R as new ones. This would mean the necessity to re-create the jobs (or re-point them to the new vCenter) and result in full backups of such VMs. Old backups will need to be managed manually, unless you continue running old jobs that will finally apply deleted VMs retention to them.

CraigV
Influencer
Full Name: CraigV

Post by CraigV » Sep 27, 2017 6:31 am

Mmm...thanks Foggy. I was hoping that with a dedicated VC and separate Veeam server, it would simply continue with the jobs as per normal. I will make a note of this as part of the project.

Thanks for the help!

marius roma
Expert
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Mario

[MERGED] Chaining incremental backup

Post by marius roma » Nov 25, 2017 8:15 am

Imagine a VM whose name is VM1 managed by a vCenter Server named vCenterOld.
VM1 id backed up in Job1 managed by a Veeam B&R server.
Job1 performs incremental backup.
Due to HW issues vCenterOld was replaced by vCenterNew and all ESXi hosts were detached from vCenterOld and connected to vCenterNew.
I reconfigured the Veeam server to connect to vCenterNew but I had to manually edit each backup job by removing all VMs managed by vCenterOld and add the same VMs managed by vCenterNew.
The result was that a new full backup is created for each job.
How can I tell the Veeam server that in Job1 the current VM1 (managed by vCenterNew) is the same as VM1 (managed by vCenterOld) and that the new backup of VM1 (managed by vCenterNew) must be chained to the old backup of VM1 (managed by vCenterOld) without creating a new full backup?
Regards
marius

Andreas Neufert
Veeam Software
Liked: 535 times
Full Name: @AndyandtheVMs Veeam PM

Re: Chaining incremental backup

Post by Andreas Neufert » Nov 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi Marius,

This is described at https://www.veeam.com/kb2136

davidpfeiffer
Novice
Full Name: David Pfeiffer

Post by davidpfeiffer » Feb 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi,
Case # 02622019
Had to build a new appliance as the VMware Migration utility kept failing when trying to migrate from Windows vcenter 5.5 to new 6.5 appliance.
VMware could not figure it out.
Migrated the ESXi hosts to the new vcenter appliance today Version 6.5.0 Build 7515524 and went to run the veeam.backup.vmmigrator.exe tool.
When running the perparemigrationtask putting in the old and the new vcenter names I am only getting the old VM-IDs from the old 5.5 appliance.
No new VM-IDs are showing up.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David P.

Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
Liked: 1306 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » Feb 21, 2018 11:44 am

David, since this is a support tool, then your engineer should be able to assist you with this. Keep working with our engineer and let us know what would be the solution.

davidpfeiffer
Novice
Full Name: David Pfeiffer

Post by davidpfeiffer » Feb 21, 2018 6:48 pm

Thanks.
Appreciate the response.
This is all I got from support:

If you are unable to get the utility to run successfully or detect the reference IDs of the migrated VMs you always have the option starting a new backup set or manually updating the VMs reference IDs by following the steps in the KB below.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1299

Any other ideas?

foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy » Feb 22, 2018 11:39 am

Hi David, if you're unable to use the tool, then I don't think you have any other options than those mentioned by the engineer. You can try to escalate the case to get help with the tool itself, however, keep in mind that it is not officially supported, so I cannot guarantee that they agree to help with it.