Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

VMware specific discussions

[MERGED] Removed host, added back in, but jobs fail

Veeam Logoby 5mall5nail5 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:36 am

Hi all - I had to remove an ESXi host and (the VMs on its local datastore). When I add them back in and kick off Veeam, it doesn't reference the existing backups/incrementals. Problem is, one of my VMs is 12.9TB and I really don't want to have to run for 2 days doing an initial backup again. I do have the original VMs backup content on disk in the Veeam server. And, the VM was added back in and is the same VM that was removed. Is there a way to tell Veeam "don't create a new backup, use what's there"?
5mall5nail5
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: None

Re: Removed host, added back in, but jobs fail

Veeam Logoby Rishi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:28 am

Yes, You can map existing backup data to new jobs. Just follow these steps: Create a new job/ edit a existing job -> in storage tab-right under Backup repository Click on "Map Backup" and select the backup file already in storage and you are done. Data gets mapped to this new job. Also documentation link for reference : https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Rishi
Service Provider

Full Name: Rishi

Re: Removed host, added back in, but jobs fail

Veeam Logoby 5mall5nail5 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:58 am

I should add - I had to add the VMs back into inventory, so the IDs must have changed.
5mall5nail5
Novice

Full Name: None

Re: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Veeam Logoby foggy » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 pm

Mapping the job to existing backup will not help, VMs that have changed their IDs will be still considered as new ones. You need to match the old IDs with the new ones, however, I'm not sure the vCenter Migration Tool mentioned above covers the standalone ESXi scenario.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1131 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby Rishi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:48 am

Mapping will work. The first run will read the entire VMDK, but any blocks that are already in the backup will not actually be copied.
Rishi
Service Provider

Full Name: Rishi

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:37 am

This is valid for reverse incremental backup mode only (and with per-VM chain setting disabled). In case of forward incremental, all the blocks will be copied to a new VIB file that will be similar to the full one in size.
foggy
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Implications on backups when moving to a new VC

Veeam Logoby CraigV » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi All,

We have to move and split an existing ESXi cluster. Currently it is a 7-host cluster, which will be split into a 5-host non-production cluster and a 2-host production cluster.
Currently all backups are provided through the use of a single Veeam server pointing to this 7-host cluster.

I'd like to know the following (assumptions of mine are in brackets):

1. What are the implications for Veeam when migrating the VMs to the new clusters? (I'd assume that we would just point Veeam to the new VC which in turn would allow it to see the new split clusters);
2. When we split manufacturing servers onto the production cluster, we would have to redo the backup jobs and settings. Veeam would not reference the old backups anymore, correct? We would then let the backups run for the set retention period, after which Veeam would expire the older backup sets of these VMs;
3. For the VMs that are left on the non-production cluster, would we be able to modify the backup jobs to include the remaining VMs on the 5-host cluster and then continue backups to the same directory etc. as per normal?

If I haven't explained it better, please let me know. Ideally we are trying to make this as pain-free as possible.

Thanks,

Craig
CraigV
Influencer

Full Name: CraigV

Veeam Logoby foggy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm

Hi Craig, generally, your understanding is correct. The main implication here is that uUpon being registered in the new vCenter, VMs will get their new IDs and be treated by Veeam B&R as new ones. This would mean the necessity to re-create the jobs (or re-point them to the new vCenter) and result in full backups of such VMs. Old backups will need to be managed manually, unless you continue running old jobs that will finally apply deleted VMs retention to them.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby CraigV » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:31 am

Mmm...thanks Foggy. I was hoping that with a dedicated VC and separate Veeam server, it would simply continue with the jobs as per normal. I will make a note of this as part of the project.

Thanks for the help!
CraigV
Influencer

Full Name: CraigV

Previous

Return to VMware vSphere