Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

VMware specific discussions

Re: Moving VMs to a new virtual center.

Veeam Logoby spgsit5upport » Thu May 08, 2014 12:49 pm

foggy wrote:Seb, have you mapped the jobs to existing backup files after re-adding VMs?

Yes, I have had done it.

Anything can be done to database itself, so I do NOT get the same 5 Tb backup job happen again? I have no space for another copy on that repo

Seb
spgsit5upport
Expert

Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Seb

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 08, 2014 2:22 pm

You could replace the moref ID in Veeam B&R database with the new one, however this is not generally recommended and can lead to undesired consequences.

Btw, what backup mode do you use? Please note, that in case of reverse incremental, similar blocks will be deduped, so you would not need another 5TB of space.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1133 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby spgsit5upport » Thu May 08, 2014 4:35 pm

I use reverse incremental

I tested on other jobs (I have few). Each one just copied majority of the total amount (while might not be full amount, it was still pretty lot)

I am willing to change the moref ID & take the flack for it (where to change it?)

Seb

edit:

Used this:
http://www.interworks.com/blogs/ijahans ... ror-vmware

but the VM id did NOT change in the job.
So no idea why Veeam make the "new" backup in SAME location
spgsit5upport
Expert

Veeam Logoby foggy » Thu May 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Please contact technical support directly for assistance. If you post case ID here, I could probably ask the right person to take it over.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby spgsit5upport » Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 am

Too late, backup is on 27% currently , in another 18 hours it will finish, in the meantime, as I have not enough space, I will have to delete previous one from repository.

But not an expected behaviour. I even restored VB&R previous DB to compare jobs & they are exactly the same! (apart from VC DNS entry of course)
spgsit5upport
Expert

Veeam Logoby gccit » Fri May 09, 2014 3:21 pm

So I asked about the script as instructed on Monday. It's Friday and I still have nothing. What can I do? Case 00561509
gccit
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: GCC

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri May 09, 2014 10:39 pm

spgsit5upport wrote:But not an expected behaviour. I even restored VB&R previous DB to compare jobs & they are exactly the same! (apart from VC DNS entry of course)

Do you mean VM has the same moref ID but still full backup is triggered for it?

gccit wrote:So I asked about the script as instructed on Monday. It's Friday and I still have nothing. What can I do? Case 00561509

I will check the case.
foggy
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Sat May 10, 2014 1:49 pm

Small addition - if you've moved VMs to new vCenter, and have already run jobs, there is nothing we can do in this case. The mentioned script should help when nothing has happened since VMs were registered under new VC. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1027 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby v.tom » Wed May 21, 2014 11:11 am

I'm wondering if Veeam could provide a procedure for migrating from one vCenter to another?

We have a lot of customers who are moving away from the Windows based vCenter Server to the Linux based vCenter Server.

A lot of configuration is lost like disk excludes, which is a lot of work to do again.
VMCE certified
v.tom
Influencer

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Tom

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed May 21, 2014 11:33 am

Situations when you're planning to register VM under new vCenter server and meanwhile preserve existing backup jobs' configuration are addressed on case by case basis. You can open a ticket with our support team and post its number here, so that, I can ask the right engineer to take over your case. The only requirement we have is that after migration you shouldn't run backup jobs, but rather postpone them, till the database correction is performed.

Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

[MERGED] Map VM IDs to existing backups after host add / rem

Veeam Logoby mrstorey » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:51 am

Hi,

I understand that Veeam tracks VMs using their unique identifier in vcenter, but I wondered if there was a way to map previously backed up VMs to their new IDs in the event of a host being removed and re-added?

We had a situation last night where a host wasn’t joining back into venter after a datacenter power down - it looked like the vpxa agent was crashing - the host momentarily reconnected after selecting ‘connect’ but immediately disconnected again.

In hindsight I should have just manually reinstalled the vpxa agent, but it was late, wasn’t thinking at my best and I just removed and re-added the host to get vcenter to reinstall it for me. This got us back with a full functioning cluster and I went to bed.

The backups are due to kick off again later this afternoon, and I know Veeam will create duplicate, active full backups for those VMs registered on the host I re-added.

We don’t have a great deal of backup repository space, so I wondered if there was a way I can map these new ID’s to the existing VMs in the backup job? It’s probably worth noting that we target VM folders for our backup jobs, so new VMs are picked up automatically.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Alex
mrstorey
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Storey

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:39 am

Hi, Alex, you can disable existing jobs temporarily and ask support team for assistance. Chances are, they have a solution for this issue. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby cody.ault » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:34 pm

At the moment the officially supported way of fixing this is to add the new vCenter into Veeam, clone the old job and remove and readd the VMs into the job under the new vCenter. Removing and readding the VM's to the old job will potentially cause issues when restoring with names/ref-id matching and can cause some confusion in the restore wizard. After the new job is created you will need to run a new full backup and start a new chain. For Replicas, you can readd the VM's to the job and use the Replica Mapping feature to point to the existing Replica VM's. This will cause it to delete the existing snapshots (restore points on the replica VM's) and start collect the disk digests which can take some time to complete.
cody.ault
Veeam Software

Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Cody Ault

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:42 pm 2 people like this post

We are working on the support tool to facilitate vCenter migration scenario, this should become available in the same time frame with v8. Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2411 times

Veeam Logoby dellock6 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:08 am

Oh, this is a great news! Surely will be an appreciated tool :)
Luca Dell'Oca
EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
http://www.virtualtothecore.com
vExpert 2011-2012-2013-2014-2015-2016
Veeam VMCE #1
dellock6
Veeam Software

Liked: 1381 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

PreviousNext

Return to VMware vSphere