msg.snapshot.error-QUIESCINGERROR

VMware specific discussions

msg.snapshot.error-QUIESCINGERROR

Veeam Logoby tommyv » Tue May 26, 2015 9:12 am

Hi there,

I have a Linux SLES11 VM that has been backing up successfully via B&R for some time. Last week we added an application to the VM; GlusterFS to be precise and now every time a backup is performed it bombs out with the VMware error "msg.snapshot.error-QUIESCINGERROR". Disabling VMware tools quiescence allows the backup to be performed successfully. This is on vSphere 5.5 with the latest VMware tools installed and B&R v8p2.

I'm just wandering if anyone else has come across similar issues when quiescing a Linux guest OS? All of the VMware KB's with similar errors point to Windows VSS issues so aren't helpful.

tommyv
Influencer

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Tom Vernon

Re: msg.snapshot.error-QUIESCINGERROR

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 26, 2015 9:28 am

Are you able to reproduce this issue by taking manual snapshot with quiescence enabled via vSphere Client?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 970 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby tommyv » Tue May 26, 2015 11:07 am

v.Eremin wrote:Are you able to reproduce this issue by taking manual snapshot with quiescence enabled via vSphere Client?

Its a production box so I cant test it. Just rigging up a test box now to see what happens.
tommyv
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 26, 2015 11:55 am

So, you can backup VM in question which also requires snapshot to be created, but cannot create that snapshot manually? The tests conducted on similar testing VM might necessarily show VM specific issue. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tommyv » Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 pm

I forgot to mention that the quiescence snapshot causes Linux to crash and requires a hard reboot, which is why im now trying to recereate the issue on a test box.
tommyv
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue May 26, 2015 2:22 pm

So, if the quiescence snapshot conducted outside of VB&R results in VM crash, may be it's time to contact VMware support team and let investigate it. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby tommyv » Wed May 27, 2015 8:09 am

I haven't tried a snapshot outside of VB&R, as I said its a production box so I'm working on recreating a test environment. I havent approached VMware support since they only offer break/fix assistance not fault finding. I'm not really looking for any support, just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences and under what circumstances. Thanks.
tommyv
Influencer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed May 27, 2015 11:03 am

You seem to be the first one to report such issue, so if you want to find the reasons and prevent this behavior, contacting support looks to be the most effective way of further action.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby kirchk » Thu May 28, 2015 2:31 pm

I just wanted to chime in that I am also having this issue with SLES 11 VMware virtual machines on using a different backup solution. Attempting to create a snapshot within the vSphere client and using the quiesce option does not appear to reproduce the issue. I've been working with VMware technical support for close to two months to resolve this issue. Technical support suggested to update ESX 5.5 to the recently published Patch 6, however, QUIESCINGERRORs still occur seemly at random after patching the hosts.

I'm curious to know too if anyone else has had this issue occur to them and if they were able to go about resolving it. I'm also curious to know if anyone hears anything differently from VMware technical support.
kirchk
Lurker

Liked: never

Veeam Logoby tommyv » Fri May 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Hi kirchk, thanks for the input. Its interesting that you are also seeing the same issue on SLES. Would you mind letting me know what applications and filesystems are running on the affected VM's?

On a side note, I have set up a test VM and been able to recreate the issue. Interestingly the issue occurs when performing a Veeam backup but not when taking a snapshot directly through the vSphere client.
tommyv
Influencer

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Fri May 29, 2015 2:45 pm

Probably, I have misinterpreted your answer. If the issue is reproducible only while VB&R is present, please, open a case with our support team and let them analyze the problem directly. Thanks.
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby foggy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:02 pm

Guys, could you please check if the affected VMs have disk.enableUUID parameter set to true in the vmx file and if yes, try to backup with it set to false?

And yes, we would be grateful if you open cases with our support as well and provide their ID's for reference. Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1081 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby zerina » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:54 am

Hello,

i found this thread while i was searching for a similiar Problem.

In Our case is also a Sles 11 SP3 (up to date patched) affected.

We are running a Vsphere 5.5 (patches up to date) but we are NOT using veeam, we use a different Product (i am not sure if saying which one is here allowed).

Most vesphere Backup solutions rely on VDDK so the process is mostly the same, that means to me, it is somehow a Sles (kernel) + Vsphere VM Tools Problem (probably VDDK related).

We activated vmtools debug log unfortunatly it is not telling usefull informations (while the vm dies) The only thing that i can guess off is, that the related Sles VM has an Sybase DB running wich Sqlanywhere performs some scheduled DB Jobs.

Every Time the VM dies while performing the backup, these jobs are running, so it looks like an overload on the VM (just a guess)

We are still searching for a solution

regards
zerina
Novice

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:04 am

Just out of curiosity - does setting disk.enableUUID parameter to false allow your backup solution to proceed any further?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby zerina » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:23 am

disk.enableUUID is currently not within the .vmx file, what is the default value for disk.enableUUID.

Our Vm is not dying (during backup) ervery time, i can try that setting, but i need some days to proof that this setting helps.
I will test that and will report back.
zerina
Novice

Next

Return to VMware vSphere