Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
doberk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: S.Teijido

Multiple versions of Veeam Agent in Windows Server

Post by doberk »

Hello, I have two Veeam Backup and Replications server. One of them has last version 12 of Veeam, but the other one has Veeam 9.5. The reason of this is because I have two CPDs powered by VMware, but one of them uses vSphere 5.5. I can't update the cpd becauses hosts doesn't support vSphere 6, and I cannot use my installation of Veeam 12 becasue this version doesn't support vSphere 5.5 (only 6 and higher). So I need an installation of Veeam 9.5.

My question: Could I have the same target for both Veeam servers? My target is a phisical HP DL160 with a MSA60 attached with 24TB capacity. I have installed veeam agent from Veeam 12 and it works good. But I don't know if it is posible to install also veeam agent from Veeam 9.5. Could I have both versions of the agent and use the same target for both Veeam servers?

Thanks for supporting.
ronnmartin61
Veeam Software
Liked: 131 times
Full Name: Ronn Martin

Re: Multiple versions of Veeam Agent in Windows Server

Post by ronnmartin61 »

No definitely not supported...
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

What do mean by „agent“? Should the DL160 be a repository?
doberk
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: S.Teijido

Post by doberk »

ronnmartin61 wrote: May 26, 2023 6:09 pm No definitely not supported...
Pity... thanks. I am going to set up an iSCSI target instead.

karsten123 wrote: What do mean by „agent“? Should the DL160 be a repository?
My DL160 has Windows Server 2012 R2. When you set up a remote windows server in Veeam, it connects to that windows machine and installs an agent remotely. I want to know if installing multiple agents from different Veeam versions is possible.
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Post by Origin 2000 » 1 person likes this post

Well.... the term "Veeam agent" is used for something different (for backup phys. System or special virtual ones) and thats where the confusions comes from. What you mean is installing the Repository Role together its neccessary components and for sure you can install only one version of that software.

What you can try is to create a Repositry of type "SMB" on the existing Windows Server(the DL160) because that Veeam B&R will only have to work with a \\Share\. Hint: Win 2012 goes out of support in 10/2023.

Regards,
Joerg