Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
frogger
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan

Need to remove Vcenter from Veeam

Post by frogger »

Hi,

we need to delete our Vcenter-Server, cause we have not enough space in our Datastore. I removed the ESX from Vcenter and must remove it from Veeam B&R now.

How can i do that?

thanks for help!

Greets
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Need to remove Vcenter from Veeam

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Stefan,

When you try to delete vCenter Server from the backup console, you will see a message saying that some jobs are using it for backing up source VMs. In order to resolve that, you need to add ESXi hosts as standalone, re-configure your backup jobs through these ESXi host connections (re-add VMs) and then remove your vCenter Server.

If you don't do this, you will need to re-create all backup jobs from scratch and perform backup mapping to the existing backup files.

Let me know if that helps!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, please be aware that once the corresponding changes are done, the fist cycle of all jobs will be a full one. Thanks.
homerjnick
Expert
Liked: 35 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by homerjnick » 1 person likes this post

I've never seen the reason to get rid of the vCenter is due to lack of space...surely the vCenter is worth having and simply requires moving it to another datastore or increasing the size of the current datastore?

Sledgehammer to crack a nut comes to mind....
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

That's a good point Nick! vCenter Server has lots of cool features you can benefit from.

Stefan, I would suggest to run these reports and probably find another victim for removal from the datastore > Garbage Files and Inefficient Datastore Usage