Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: RH

New backup chain for a VM within a backup job

Post by redhorse »

Hello,

i want to create a new backup chain of one VM within a backup job, is this possible? I just see the option to create a full backup for the whole job (so for all VMs within it)

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: New backup chain for a VM within a backup job

Post by Mildur »

Hi redhorse

There is an inofficial workaround to create an active full of a single vm. That would start a new chain. I‘m sure it can be done with synthentic fulls to somehow (exclude all other vms, let veeam create an active or synthetic full, remove the vm exclusion from to the job).
I recommend to test it with a test vm first.

But this is only possible with per vm backup chains I think.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

@redhorse Maybe a new job with identical schedule and settings might be an option?

Thanks!
redhorse
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: RH

Post by redhorse »

Sorry, for the delay and thanks for the workarounds.

I have a job with about 30 VMs (per-VM-backup) and I need to have a new chain for one single VM and I want to avoid to configure additional jobs or try some unsupported/untested settings.

But what if I move the whole existing chain of that VM (vbk and vibs) to a different place, doesn't Veeam start a new backup chain automatically? What happens to the vbm file which still "thinks" that the chain is still in the repository?
mriesenbeck
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Michael Riesenbeck

Post by mriesenbeck »

I think it will look for the chain files and fail. You'd have to go into home-Backups-disk, open that job and have Veeam forget the non existing files. If this is a single job with muliple vm's that will not be a solution, probably. This is also a reason I try to go for as little number of vm's within a single job, to have more control, but I do realize that for certain enviroments there is no option other than to put multiple VM's in a single job.