Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
nokogerra
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Anatoliy Kopylov

NFC storage connection is unavailable

Post by nokogerra »

Hello there.
There is a Veeam B&R 8.0.0.817 in our branch office and few standalone ESXi hosts licensed with vSphere Enterprise license (don`t ask me why its vShpere Ent without vCenter).
Here are the hosts:
1) 5.0.0 469512
2) 5.5.0 1331820
3) 5.0 3568722 (appeared few days ago)

There are no problems with backups on hosts 1 and 2, but if we try to backup vms on host3 we got an error:

Code: Select all

21.02.2017 5:01:14 :: Processing site : roads22 (ip_address) Error: NFC storage connection is unavailable. Storage: [stg:5001de0b-9ac72ee3-64bd-3c4a926da7f8,nfchost:ha-host,conn:10.112.35.211]. Storage display name: [datastore1 (2)].
Failed to create NFC download stream. NFC path: [nfc://conn:10.112.35.211,nfchost:ha-host,stg:5001de0b-9ac72ee3-64bd-3c4a926da7f8@roads22/roads22.vmx].
So I`ve tried some things:
1. Check if ports 902 tcp and udp are open on ESXi.
2. Check if ESXi host 3 is added to Veeam B&R by ip address. It is so, but I make the corresponding record in hosts file on veeam proxy (it is a management server also) to be sure, so there is definitely no problems with name resolving.
3. hosts is added to Veeam with root credentials, so there is no problem with permissions (tried to readd it - still no luck with backup).
4. I`ve tried to install vclient on Veeam proxy and to connect to ESXi via the client and to download the vmx file. This experiment was successful.
5. I also tried to rename datastore, so it named "211_DAS" now, and name of vm is listed as "/vmfs/volumes/211_DAS/roads22/roads22.vmx" now.

During the attemt of backing up the vm, there are messages in vSphere client: "manipulate file paths".

Its strange, but I couldnt find anything corresponding "nfc" in vm backup logs.

Im curious, is it possible that Veeam 8.0.0.817 doesnt support ESXi 5.5u3 (3568722)? I couldnt find any compatibility guide. May be we should upgrade our Veeam version?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: NFC storage connection is unavailable

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Anatoliy,

From what I can find update 3 is released on 6 October 2015 and we released update 3 for Veeam 8 the 8th of October 2015 (https://www.veeam.com/kb2068)

So you might be right in that matter that it needs to be upgraded. Is there a reason why you don't (or can't) go to the latest version?

Can you also look at this forum post to see if it matches your issue? veeam-backup-replication-f2/error-clien ... 12614.html

Thanks
Mike
nokogerra
Enthusiast

Post by nokogerra »

Hello Mike, thanks for your reply.

Actually I`ve noticed that vmtools of veeam B&R (it is a VM) shows 2 ip addresses, but there is only single NIC. The first IP is a LAN IP (local area connection #1), and the second one (169... - dhcp autobind) belongs to TAP connection (local area connection #2) with "no cable" status. I`ve disable TAP connection manually and change the adapter order so "local area connection #1" is always used as main connection.
Now vmtools shows only single IP address, but still got same the error message during backup attempt. Honestly I didn`t think that this workaround will help, cause backup on other ESXi hosts is working correctly.

I guess the next step is to update Veeam B&R.
nokogerra
Enthusiast

Post by nokogerra » 1 person likes this post

The problem is solved by updating to v 9.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks Anatoliy for letting us know! Glad it is solved. Now update to 9.5? ;-)
hebgen_r
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rolf Hebgen

[MERGED] NFC Storage Problems

Post by hebgen_r »

Hi Guys,

during evaluation B&R in my testlab i found a problem connecting to the nfc storage "NFC storage connection is unavaiable"
Troubleshooting leads me to kb 1198. Ports and DNS are fine, but during the .vmx download test I found I need to login again. After this, downloading files works like a charm.

Has anybody seen this befor?
Any kind of help will be welcome.

Support Id is: 02717818

// Rolf