Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: NIC Teaming & Veeam v6

Post by tsightler »

Certainly there is a point where compression doesn't make much sense, typically this is around 150MB/s or so, although it can vary quite a bit based on the number of streams, CPU resources available, distribution of changes, etc. You may very well be at that point.

I did want to clarify to other forum readers that you statement that you "...get the same exact speed and latency as if the two where in the same room...", while functionally likely true in your case, it is obviously not strictly true from a technical perspective. You certainly have the same throughput, but latency will be increased because of the length of the fiber. With modern fiber and a typical refractive index you will add about 5 microseconds of latency for every kilometer, thus 25 microseconds for your 5K link, and really double that, since each read/write cycle requires a trip each direction, so really 50 microseconds per command. Admittedly not likely to be performance impacting because it's such a small component of the total latency (the disk itself is likely to be 3-4 milliseconds at best so this is maybe 1-2% of the total latency per request), but just trying to be technically accurate.

Keep us updated, sounds like fun! I suspect your breakpoint will be disk long before you hit the limits of any of your individual links.
lars@norstat.no
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Lars Skjønberg

Post by lars@norstat.no »

He he, you are right of course :-)

I will update you later on my progress.
lars@norstat.no
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Lars Skjønberg

Post by lars@norstat.no »

As i promised to update on my progress i will post the link to the tread that i currently working on ....

http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12441