Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
karlochacon
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Carlos Chacon

Not enough licenses

Post by karlochacon »

hi

I am having this issue when replicating VMs.

Error not enough licenses

http://screencast.com/t/wyvdOm4qdC2

the thing is I don't get why everytime I check license hosts the ones listed are the ones in the protected site.
OK I have 3 servers.
all of these managed by my VC. esx01 and esx02 in a cluster. esx03 out of the cluster because is in the recovery site.

every time I get this error and I check Licensed host I either see esx01 or esxi02 but never esx03 which is the one that should be licensed If I understand correctly

someone knows what is going on here?

I have to revoke the license to either esx01 or esx02 (I have one license) to continue running my replication jobs

thanks
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6704 times

Re: Not enough licenses

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi, it looks like besides replication, you are additionally running some other job that processes VMs located on esx01 and esx02. That's the only possible explanation I can give you without seeing full logs. Thanks!
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

I am only running replication jobs and one at a time, where is the log you are talking about to post it here

thanks
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

So just to be clear, based on your description it sounds like you are replicating from ESX01 and ESX02, to your DR host which is ESX03. If so, then what you see is correct, ESX01 and ESX02 must be licensed. The "DR" host (i.e. the "target") which is ESX03 does not have to be licensed. Any ESX(i) host that is running VMs that you are replicating or backing up must be licensed.
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

OK got in that case I need to licenses?
I mean ESXi01 and ESX02 are 1 socket servers, maybe is then that when running a job and esxi01 is license and the VM is there replication Job is cool, but when replication other VM and that VM is the other hosts ESXi02 and the "licensed hosts" is esxi01 that's why I get the issue right?
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler » 1 person likes this post

Yes, if you want to replicate VM's running from both servers, and each server is a single socket, you would need two sockets worth of licenses, and one license would be issued to each host. You do not require a license for the DR host (ESX03).
karlochacon
Enthusiast

Post by karlochacon »

thanks a lot