Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
alexandre.rogoski
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexandre Duarte Rogoski

Re: NVME-oF support for vSphere 7 with Netapp storage

Post by alexandre.rogoski »

Can you allow me to access that page?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Alexandre

This page is an internal one and can only be accessed by veeam accounts.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Butha
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Butha van der Merwe

Post by Butha » 1 person likes this post

Morning all - as many times before - it's a frustrating place so sit as an end user where between two large vendors, one the storage (Netapp) and one the company you have used and trusted for 10 years with all your data - cannot see eye to eye or provide clear answers to questions asked years before.

We are about to refresh our complete storage estate with new NVME arrays (Netapp ASA) - and as a last thought I checked support for ASA. The Veeam documentation doesn't list it. It's been a backwards and forwards thing between Netapp and Veeam (Support calls logged boths sides) _ with a lot of "Should, perhaps.. the ASA is just a subset of AFF etc etc" but nobody can agree. Second issue is the support for iSER (iscsi extensions over RDMA) - it's been around on Vmware since 6.7 - and anything from a cheap NAS to high end SAN's support it. Once again - Veeam cannot answer if it will work, if the storage API's etc are the same (it's the same Ontap) - so again an assumption that it " Might/should" work. More bigger issue - Netapp doesn't support iSER on any high end models running Ontap - but the DO support NVME/TCP (Which has been supported on Vmware for a while now). I see NVME/TCP support was requested in 2020 already here, but just last week the comments around it is still " not yet/cannot disclose".

How do we get an honest open answer to the question? Has it been tested? Is it on the roadmap? What is the ETA more or less on it? Will V12 for example fully support it? etc.

An answer on iSER and NVME/tcp support from Veeam is required asap please - and if not, either a change to new backup vendor, or different storage vendor or combination of is the only option it seems.

@mildur - please enlighten us to what that internal document says if you can.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi everyone on this thread,

on the last post it was asked to give some light on this topic.
Today, as already mentioned, NVMe-oF is not supported with Veeam's Storage Integration but it is something we look into closely.

Most storage vendors started to implement NVMe-oF for FC a while ago but TCP support only came for some of them within the last 12 month or for most only the last 6 month.

To better understand the different scenarios from you, I have some questions to everyone here and the ones adding feedback going forward:
- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA?
- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe?
- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? (even if this thread is called "with NetApp" I expect others to read as well)
- Is NVMe-oF in your case used for regular VMware data stores?
- Is there anything outside VMware you use NVMe-oF with?
- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? (https://core.vmware.com/resource/whats- ... 21636-sub1)

I can't comment on the timeline or give a ETA at this point but as mentioned above it for sure is something we look into.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
segfault
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: John Garner

Post by segfault »

Here goes:

FC (w/ NetApp)

- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe?
Yes. 2-3 years (based on our existing lifecycle replacement cycle)

- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with?
NetApp (today). May add Pure to the mix during the next storage refresh.

Yes. Lower latency to the VM and better array utilization / iops from the same array hardware. Veeam is the only reason we have not flipped everything over.

No.

- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option?
No.
popjls
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by popjls »

- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA? - FC mostly and TCP eventually.
- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe? - At some point, no rush.
- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? (even if this thread is called "with NetApp" I expect others to read as well) - Dell PowerStore T
- Is NVMe-oF in your case used for regular VMware data stores? - Yes
- Is there anything outside VMware you use NVMe-oF with? - No
- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? - At some point yes.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA? - FC (with NetApp MetroCluster)
- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe? - No, thats currently not planned
- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? - NetApp MetroCluster. AFF A400 and AFF A800
- Is there anything outside VMware you use NVMe-oF with? - Currently not
- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? - No
rennerstefan
Veeam Software

Post by rennerstefan »

@sandsturm thanks for your reply. Just a small question. I recently was told that there is no support for metrocluster and NVMe-oF today which can also be found here (https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/san ... ncept.html): “MetroCluster configurations do not support front-end NVMe host connectivity.”

Do you have any information/document that it changed?
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

I know it's currently not supported on MetroCluster, hope this will change soon. But I can't tell you, if and when this will change. We are using MetroCluster and non-MetroCluster systems in our company and finally I want to use NVMe-oF on all our systems (if possible and supported).

thx,
sandsturm
rennerstefan
Veeam Software

Post by rennerstefan »

Ok thanks for clarifying. Now we are on the same page.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
ToddMenefee
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Todd Menefee

Post by ToddMenefee »

Our company has begun to implement NVMe but we have reached a roadblock due to Veeam lagging behind on current technologies. Please prioritize support for NVMe storage integration.

- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA? - FC

- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe? -No

- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? (even if this thread is called "with NetApp" I expect others to read as well) – Pure Storage x70

- Is there anything outside VMware you use NVMe-oF with? - No

- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? (https://core.vmware.com/resource/whats- ... 21636-sub1) - Possibly
Butha
Enthusiast
Liked: 22 times
Full Name: Butha van der Merwe

Post by Butha »

- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA? TCP&RDMA

- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe? TCP Already

- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? (even if this thread is called "with NetApp" I expect others to read as well) Netapp

- Is NVMe-oF in your case used for regular VMware data stores? - Not yet as support from Veeam is required.

- Is there anything outside VMware you use NVMe-oF with? No

- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? No - main use case is leveraging RDMA which has been present in the HBA's (Mellanox) and switches (Nexus) for a while but unused - to improve throughput, reduce latency etc.
Eric from Paris
Novice
Full Name: ERIC LANGUILLET

Post by Eric from Paris »

- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA? FC

- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe? No

- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? Netapp

- Is NVMe-oF in your case used for regular VMware data stores? - Not yet as support from Veeam is required.

- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? No
ASG
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by ASG »

FC

Currently not planned

- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? (even if this thread is called "with NetApp" I expect others to read as well)
IBM HyperSwap Cluster

Yes

No

- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? (https://core.vmware.com/resource/whats- ... 21636-sub1)
No
nlsrkr
Lurker

Post by nlsrkr »

rennerstefan wrote: Sep 12, 2022 9:41 am @sandsturm thanks for your reply. Just a small question. I recently was told that there is no support for metrocluster and NVMe-oF today which can also be found here (https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/san ... ncept.html): “MetroCluster configurations do not support front-end NVMe host connectivity.”

Do you have any information/document that it changed?
The above is addressed in ONTAP 9.12.1 for MetroCluster IP configurations as can be seen in the release notes:
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_down ... MLP2492508
page 52.

The ONTAP documentation is being updated soon.

Cheers
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

The above is addressed in ONTAP 9.12.1 for MetroCluster IP configurations as can be seen in the release notes:
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_down ... MLP2492508
page 52.
That sounds fantastic, I'm sure you will support ONTAP 9.12.x including NVMe-oF with Veeam V12 then? ;-)

thx,
sandsturm
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Just to bring this topic up again: Does anyone know, if NVMe-oF is supported now with VBR v12? I couldn't find something in "Whats new" document?
rennerstefan
Veeam Software

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi,
no NVMe-oF support is not part if v12.
It is still something we are considering for future releases so feedback is still welcome.
Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

Hi Stefan

thanks for the answer. I understand that something like "Direct-NVMe-oF" (comparable to DirectSAN) as veeam transport mechanism is not an option in this case. But is it unsupported if I configure my ESXi hosts and my storage system for NVMe-oF and just use another Veeam-transport mechanism (not a Direct-anything transport mechano) to create backups of VMware vitual machines running on such NVMe-oF datastores?

thx,
sandsturm
rennerstefan
Veeam Software

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi again,

No that is not unsupported.
Any other mode than direct san or BfSS just uses the VMware api to retrieve data.
That said hot-add and nbd will be fine.
We don’t claim dedicated support for that as it is part of VMware api stack we use.

This forum thread is to understand the demand mainly for our storage integration.

Hope that helps.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
blackstone
Lurker
Full Name: Tim Erbe

Post by blackstone »

RMDA

- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with?
PureStorage

Yes

No

- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option?
No
SkyDiver79
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Falk

Post by SkyDiver79 » 1 person likes this post

I have any Customers with DELL Powerstore and NVMe over TCP.
Now we use NBD in most cases, but a Linux Proxy with direct SAN would be speed up the Backups.
MatzeB
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Matthias Beller

Post by MatzeB »

+1 for this Request from my side.
At the moment, our customers running almost >90% NFS for VMware in their Netapp environments. Due to the new hardware (End-to-End NVME) and the performance advantages of NVME-oF I could imagine that this will be our "new NFS", so our new default. Since most customers use NFS today, I think the focus will be on NVME over TCP/IP.

As a simple workaround we would also use HotAdd/NBD - but a real storage integration would be much better.

What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA?
FC or TCP

Netapp Ontap

Yes we plan to

No

No

Regards
Matze
p.lan
Service Provider
Full Name: Pierce

Post by p.lan »

We have deployed several NVMe-oF arrays with NVMe/TCP configured for our customers and we see it trending this direction quite a bit. At this rate, we will probably be deploying more NVMe/TCP than iSCSI with hosts/storage as of end of 2023 and would really love for Veeam to support the storage integration for NVMe. At the very least: support integration with the storage and vmware hosts to mount/dismount storage snapshots for instant recovery from snapshots on NVMe volumes.

- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA? TCP

- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe? Already on TCP

- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? Dell Powerstore, Netapp,

- With the recent VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? No
runste
Novice
Full Name: Rune Stene

Post by runste »

+1 on this request.

Any news on when Veeam will support NVME-oF?
We need it for IBM Flashsystem.
rennerstefan
Veeam Software

Post by rennerstefan »

Thanks for your feedback.
This is something we are actively researching for after 12a.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
segfault
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: John Garner

Post by segfault » 3 people like this post

This is something we are actively researching for after 12a
As a customer who has been waiting a very long time for this, responses like this are getting a bit frustrating at this point.

This thread is over three years old now. To put that in context, v10 was out when the thread was created. v10a then came and went. Then v11. Then v11a. Now v12.

Now it sounds like it will not be any sooner than v13 as you just killed any hope of it making the v12a cut. So maybe late 2024 at best case now?

We really like the direct SAN access route since it is so fast compared to just about every other option we have, plus it keeps the time that the VM has an active snapshot applied down to an absolute minimum. We don't want to give that up but our database and app teams teams are really eyeballing up the latency reduction that we get by bumping to a full end to end NVMe system. This has been on the market since ONTAP 9.4 which was released back in 2018 and fully supported by every other component in our virtualization stack for the past 4+ years except for Veeam.
Brian_Larsen
Influencer
Full Name: Brian Larsen

Post by Brian_Larsen »

+ 1 for NVME over TCP support.
dbewernick
VeeaMVP
Liked: 107 times
Full Name: David Bewernick

Post by dbewernick »

Hey @Brian_Larsen,
would you mind providing some additional information?
- With the VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option?
Brian_Larsen
Influencer
Full Name: Brian Larsen

Post by Brian_Larsen »

- What is the NVMe-oF Fabric used in your implementation(s) - FC, TCP, RDMA? NVMe over TCP
- If you use NVMe-oF FC today, do you expect to switch to TCP and if yes what is the timeframe? Don't use NVME-oF today.
- What is the Storage Vendor and Array type you use or plan to use NVMe-oF with? Dell PowerStore 500 T.
- Is NVMe-oF in your case used for regular VMware data stores? Yes.
- Is there anything outside VMware you use NVMe-oF with? Not so far.
- With the VMware announcement to support vVols with NVMe-oF, do you expect to leverage this new option? No.