Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
eisback
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Oracle Backup / VSS

Post by eisback »

Hi,

from time to time we need to backup Windows Servers with Oracle DBs. For all Windows Backups we are always activating AAP but if Veeam finds a Oracle DB we always receive the following error:

Unable to perform application-aware processing of Oracle dabases (SID: DBNAME). ORA-01017: invalid username/password

In the past we often set the registry value "DisableOracleProcessing" because we knew, that their is another task which dumps the DBs via a script.

Does the above error mean, that the user account, which we defined for AAP, has not the right to trigger a VSS backup of the Oracle DB(s)? And in order to achieve a consistent backup we need to specify an account for the Oracle backup with SYSDBA rights?

I was just discussing this with a software vendor and they told me, that I am the first customer who asked for a sysdba account, and they have several customers who are using Veeam Backup and Replication ... e.g. when I perform a AAP backup of a Windows VM with MS SQL it works just fine with every local admin account.

Thanks!

Nico
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Oracle Backup / VSS

Post by Andreas Neufert »

In many cases you have to configure the Oralce VSS for the correct processing.
Please check: https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/ora ... 3702E74941
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Oracle Backup / VSS

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I'd also suggest to:
1. To check that the accounts specified in Guest Processing Settings and on Oracle tab meet the requirements from this table (look under "Performing Guest Processing - Oracle").
2. To contact our support team if the requirements are met but the issue still persists. Please don't forget to share a support case ID with us.

Thanks!