Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bdelacour
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Benjamin Delacour

Partial failover between vCenters

Post by bdelacour »

Hello,

I'd like to use Veeam to migrate my VMs from one vCenter to another on the same site.
I installed a Windows Virtual Machine with Veeam Backup & Replication and I am able to list my VMs.

As I have some virtual machines, I would like to migrate service per service using partial failover. For this, I need to setup Network Extension Applicance.
The problem is I apparently need Veeam Cloud Connect that I can't get without being a Service Provider.

Here is how my network works for information :
I use 3 VLANs and a firewall/gateway in a VM to manage communications. My services can, for example, have 14 VMs on VLAN1, 17 VMs on VLAN2 and 6 VMs on VLAN3.

Do you have a solution ?

Thank you !
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Partial failover between vCenters

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Benjamin,

If I correctly understood the scenario you don't need to leverage Partial Failover and Cloud Connect but you should use Quick Migration job instead.

Thanks!
bdelacour
Novice

Post by bdelacour »

Hi Petr !

Thanks a lot for your answer, I didn't know about "Quick Migration", it can be a good solution !
I'll do some tests to measure unavailability time on our services using this method.

For my own culture, would it have been possible to migrate service per service by establishing a network connection between both vCenter without being a Service Provider as I first thought ?

Kind regards
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Correct, as long as there is a connectivity in place you will be able to migrate VMs between vCenters, using either Quick Migration or replication coupled with planned failover. Thanks!
bdelacour
Novice

Post by bdelacour »

I think my question was not well written, sorry :)

Would it be possible to setup Partial Failover without Cloud Connect ?
That, if half of a VLAN is migrated, all machines can still communicate with each other even if they are not in the same vCenter.

Thanks !
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

No, there are no similar means available in VB&R. Thanks!
bdelacour
Novice

Post by bdelacour »

Hi again

I am testing the Quick Migration part and I've got two questions :

1- As we do in failover, is it possible to have a quick rollback in case of failure ?
I unchecked the option which deletes the VM after migration but it is renamed and I don't want to resume 200VMs by hand.

2- I was able to make a migration but, even if my DVS have the same name on both vCenter, VB&R is not able to configure network interface. It just appears disconnected with a blank adapter selected.
In Event, I am just able to see this logs :

Code: Select all

Modified: config.hardware.device(4000).backing.port.portgroupKey: "dvportgroup-77" -> <unset>; config.hardware.device(4000).backing.port.portKey: "273" -> <unset>; config.hardware.device(4000).backing.port.connectionCookie: 1942004904 -> <unset>; config.extraConfig("tools.guest.desktop.autolock").value: "false" -> "FALSE"; Added: Deleted: 
And if I configure it by myself, it logs :

Code: Select all

Modified: config.hardware.device(4000).deviceInfo.summary: "DVSwitch: 41 a5 25 50 63 b7 73 95-f2 58 23 68 3a ad 7c 1e" -> "DVSwitch: 50 0d ee d2 11 93 59 30-10 4a 05 f9 12 2e 7f 06"; config.hardware.device(4000).backing.port.switchUuid: "41 a5 25 50 63 b7 73 95-f2 58 23 68 3a ad 7c 1e" -> "50 0d ee d2 11 93 59 30-10 4a 05 f9 12 2e 7f 06"; config.hardware.device(4000).backing.port.portgroupKey: <unset> -> "dvportgroup-45"; config.hardware.device(4000).backing.port.portKey: <unset> -> "256"; config.hardware.device(4000).backing.port.connectionCookie: <unset> -> 1059394735; config.hardware.device(4000).connectable.connected: false -> true; config.hardware.device(4000).connectable.status: "unrecoverableError" -> "ok"; Added: Deleted: 
I might create a new post for this problem if needed

Thanks a lot !
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hi Benjamin,

1. There is no automatic rollback, Quick Migration allows you to migrate your workloads from one location to another at once. You may also take a look at replication and planned failover functionality (as Veremin has already suggested) if you want to be able to perform Undo Failover or Failback operations after failing over to a replica.

2. Since it's related to troubleshooting of a technical issue, I would recommend to raise a support request because we cannot fix technical issues over forum posts. Please don't forget to provide us with a support case ID.

Thanks!
bdelacour
Novice

Post by bdelacour » 1 person likes this post

Hi Petr,

Since I will use replication and planned failover because I must be able to failback, I will use the network remapping feature of replication jobs.
I have the same interface name on both side but at least, internally it will be able map them

Thank you to both of you for your answers !