Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Novell2
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zeller Werner

Performance vSphere

Post by Novell2 »

Hi, I installed a new Server 2019 with local disks 3 x Raid 5, SAS Disks and 2 x 10Gb Nics. There are 3 disk stores (each 15TB) are formated with 64K blocks, and one Aaray with 350GB SSD disk 64K formated . The backups of some vsphere V6.5 Backup VM-Jobs are slow overall 113MB/s. Everything is connected with 10Gb NICS. The Backup screen says Bottleneck: Source. The 4 vsphere hosts are HPE simplivity Nodes. How can I improve the environments?
Means that the bottleneck is really the Source (simplivity vSphere hosts), and not the network, and backup server?

Thanks a lot

Novell2
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Re: Performance vSphere

Post by nitramd »

Hello Novell2.

Have a look at this document for Bottleneck Analysis: veeam-backup-replication-f2/read-this-f ... tml#p95291

Have you considered adding another disk as a hot spare in your RAID 5 array?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

What backup mode do you use? NBD-network I guess, this is limited by VMware. Go to the backup Job statistics, click on a single VM on the left and then search for the backup mode behind the VM disks listed.
Novell2
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Zeller Werner

Post by Novell2 »

Hi Nitrand, Hi Andreas,
thanks, I do have a spare disk for all 3 HPe Arrays. The backupjobs uses Network Proxy. I did change the backup target from E: (2019 Server Dedup) to a none dedup drive D: (SSD), but its the same throughput ~116MB/s.
The problem must be source vsphere 6.5 with simplivity or the network. I will try a perf test from a windows virtuell machine to the backupserver.
Best regards
Novell2