Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
mshilston
Novice
Liked: never

Physical Server Deployments

Post by mshilston »

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can advise of the best way to utilise a pair of physical servers for Veeam backup.

I want to keep the backup server mainly away from the virtual estate, with the exception of the SQL databases and a possibly a virtual proxy added later. I've got two decent physical servers at my disposal and want to try and combine the resources of these in the most efficient way possible.

Lets assume the two physical servers have shared storage, I was thinking of possibily separating out the Backup Server and Enterprise Manager installs, one on each server. These could really go on one box, so Is there any recommended way to scale out the workloads across to another server in this scanario? Perhaps I could assign the second server as a mount server within backup jobs for example to get best use of both boxes?

I suppose I'm looking for advice on the most efficient split of roles I had two servers to use.

On a side note, taking this in another direction, does Veeam support being installed on a Microsoft applicaiton cluster? I can't see anything about installing the Backup server in a high availability configuration.

Many thanks!

M
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Physical Server Deployments

Post by foggy »

If you want to split the backup load, assign both servers a proxy role, so they both could perform data processing. What is your vSphere setup, btw? Does your production storage allow direct access to the LUNs?
mshilston
Novice

Post by mshilston »

Thanks foggy, so effectively just install Backup and Replication on both boxes and assign the proxy role. I'll have a look at doing that...

Production storage will probably not be accessed directly by the backup servers, so looking at the Virtual Appliance transport mode for now...
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You do not need a second Veeam B&R installation, I meant just assigning both servers a proxy role within a single Veeam B&R instance. Those proxies will be able to use NBD mode for backup, but you can check whether hotadd is faster.
mshilston
Novice

Post by mshilston »

OK, I understand, thanks for clarifying that.